Filled with a luscious peanut butter cream filling and unbelievably easy to whip up, these extra-chewy peanut butter sandwich cookies are totally a peanut butter-lover’s dream!
These cookie sandwiches are taking Friday to new epic levels.
They’re also taking ME straight back to my childhood of peanut butter, cookies, and sandwiches ALL the things. And ohhh those memories like eating frosting straight from the mixing bowl with a spoon. Or at the end of a cookie-baking day, ending up eating more cookie dough than the actual cookies…
So what’s a sappy, practically-ancient 18-year old to do? Throw ’em all in one and call ‘er done.
What ensues? Super-simple, but oh-so nostalgic and classic perf-ec-tion.
It’s also called frosting-filled peanut butter sandwich cookies. EEEEK!
Kids have been known to love ’em, but adults like Sarah tend to love ’em MORE!
Peanut butter dreams DO come true. ♥
So super quick sidenote here: Things have been seriously SO crazy lately with school, blog stuff, homework and MORE homework, ect, I think I neglected to mention some pretty awesome news –>
I’m going back to Florida AGAIN, guys! Not to Disney World, but to attend my family’s yearly church conferences in the panhandle of Florida in an awesome little seaside city. In like two weeks I’m just now realizing… EEEK!
Fun fact: The last time my family went to the panhandle of Florida (nearly 3 years ago) was only a few short weeks before Whole and Heavenly Oven was born! I can remember the idea of a food blog first hitting me somewhere between Kentucky and Alabama on the drive down there. True story, guys!
P.S. I’m pumped and counting down the milliseconds ’til palm trees and ocean breeze. Woot!
That wasn’t a super-lengthy sidenote was it? I try my best not to rattle TOO expansively on a Friday…I mean, there are margaritas to make and peanut butter cookie sandwiches to devour, hello!
Speaking of such pleasantry…
Everything is ALL about the chewy in these sandwich cookies. Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeewy! The peanut butter cookies are seriously so ultra-soft and chewy, they make chewing gum look pathetic.
Okay, that was an awful metaphor…apologies.
Let me backtrack and just say that the pb cookies portion of these sandwiches are just reaaally, really good. Slightly crisp on the edges and the perfect amount of CHEW on the inside. ♥
With extra-EXTRA filling sandwiched in between all the softness and chewiness. Friday told me to.
Squiiiiiish it all together. And die.
Just a jim-dandy of a cookie sandwich, friends. If I were crazy, I’d probably tell you to eat two.
But I’m not gonna say that. You dig? 😉
Oh, but I should probably let y’all know that the COOL people eat peanut butter cookie sandwiches for breakfast on a Friday…
Not that I’m saying you SHOULD commit such a crime to cookies or something, but…weeeell you totally should, who am I kidding??
Peanut butter-y Friday dreams uncensored. This could be the best problem ever. 😀
Extra-Chewy Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Make the cookies: Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Place butter, sugar, and peanut butter in the bowl of a large stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until creamy, then beat in eggs, yogurt, and vanilla. In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to liquid mixture, and beat on medium speed until a cookie dough forms.
- Roll dough into 1-in balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Use a fork to make a criss-cross pattern on cookie balls, flattening slightly. Bake cookies at 350F 10-11 minutes, or until edges of cookies are golden. (middles will still seem a little soft---this is ok) Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the filling: Place butter, peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in milk until filling reaches a creamy, spreadable consistency.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Divide filling between half of cookies, placing 1-2 tablespoons on the bottom of each. Top with remaining cookies and gently press to spread filling, creating a sandwich. Enjoy sandwiches immediately or place in refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photo #wholeandheavenlyoven on Instagram. And follow me so we can be friends! ♥