Coconut oil and buttermilk are the keys to what makes these pancakes so perfect! Loaded with tons of falls spices and pumpkin, you’ll never find a more fluffy and ultra-soft pancake in the world!
Question: Is there ever going to be a time when Sarah is NOT completely obsessed with tossing pumpkin into literally everything?
Sorry, but uhhhh no.
Who am I even kidding, guys…I regret NOTHING!
And therefore, I cannot be held responsible for the pumpkin pancake coma you are about to fall into. Because obviously today is NO different than any other fall day in a pumpkin-addict’s blog. I may or may not be turning a little orange now’adays…
Are you even aware of how much I’m currently crushing on ALL THE STACKS of these pancakes?
Guys, the pancakes of your DREAMS. These are right up there with these puppies I shared with y’all a few weeks ago.
That’s big, friends. HUGE because I mean, what’s else can possibly beat cinnamon roll pancakes?? (oops, gave it away)
The answer is pumpkin. As it is the answer to practically EVERYTHING.
Seriously, friends. I’ve made a LOT of pancakes over the years, some fluffier and softer than others, but comparing today’s pancakes? There’s not even any contest there. I really don’t even think I’ve had a soft, more ultimately-fluffy pancake in my life.
The not-so-secret ingredient? Actually, there’s 3 with the most obvious one clearly being pumpkin. It makes ’em so fluffy and cake-like and paired with a ton of spice takes care of all the fall flavors right there.
Next up, we have coconut oil. Of which, I don’t think I will EVER stop singing the praises of. For one thing, it gives these pancakes a nice little added bonus of nutrients AND contributes to their unbeatable texture!
One last secret for me to spill: Warm buttermilk! It just seals the whoooole extra-soft texture deal in these pancakes. Because my coconut oil is usually in a solid state, I usually heat both the milk and the oil together until JUST slightly warm.
Then it’s into the batter, onto the skillet, onto the plate, and into my BELLY.
Super-quicky sidenote: Friends, is there any such paradise as my view right now?? I’ve decided I’m just meant to be a Florida ‘gal. The end.
The only other said viewing paradise I could even think of right now would probably be 10-ft tall stacks of these pancakes. With those exact measurements. I accept no fewer pancakes.
Mini chocolate chips sprinkled on top are definitely gonna win you some pretty awesome pancake points with kiddos/husbands/anyone who’s human.
Also see below for my tips on a perfect maple syrup waterfall.
The secret? Pour ’til there’s no more.
Like soooooooo ↑
Then it’s probably required that you get a little messy digging into your pile of pumpkin paraaaaadise.
And if that right there isn’t paradise to you, you’d better just stop looking. ♥
Coconut Oil Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- Maple syrup and mini chocolate chips for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and spice. Set aside for a moment.
- Place coconut oil and milk in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until oil is melted and milk is warm (do not boil or simmer milk) Remove from heat and set aside for a moment. In a separate large bowl, whisk pumpkin and egg until smooth. Whisk in warm milk/coconut oil mixture until smooth and combined. Gently fold flour mixture into liquid until just combined.
- Heat a nonstick skillet to medium-high heat. Cook batter in batches by 1/4 cupfuls 1-2 minutes each side or until golden. Serve pancakes warm with maple syrup and mini chocolate chips if desired.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photo #wholeandheavenlyoven on Instagram. And follow me so we can be friends! ♥