One bite of this insanely-moist, berry-loaded, crumb coffee cake and you will be instantly hooked! It’s so easy to whip up and perfect for a summer brunch or just for snacking on any ‘ol time!
You game for a little summer baking? I mean, we obviously have to get at least a little bit in before it gets so ridiculously hot you don’t want ANYTHING to do with that thing called your oven that turns your house into a sauna-wannabe.
So therefore a summery coffee cake on just a regular ‘ol Monday in the wee days of June is a must for today. Because streusel = the ONLY known cure to a case of the Mondays. I stand by that as a fact.
I also stand by coffee cake with my iced coffee latte every.darn.day. If we’re being honest here.
So let’s talk about your breakfast wannabe for today and probably all the days for the forseeable future. —> —> Step over this way please.
…it’s really only just a hop, skip, and a jump away from complete and utter HEAVEN.
Okay, listen up y’all. Here’s how Monday heaven is going down in this exact order.
- Sarah loses her mind and takes the batter from THIS banana bread insanity. Moistest.banana bread.ever.
- She loads it up with her one berry love which is blueberries. And tons of ’em.
- She then proceeds to dump a Mt. Everest-sized pile of streusel on top. Seriously, there’s crumb topping in every.single.centimeter.
- The whole glorious mess goes into a 9×13 which is going to make for one tall and one gloriously-huge coffee cake.
- Coffee cake goes in and out of the oven. Approximately 13 minutes later, only minuscule crumbs remain because you just don’t leave heaven waiting.
Soooooo…a little light Monday summer baking is a GO, yes? Honestly, you could eat this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or ALL because it’s just that high amount of GOOD.
I vote for all. Shocker.
Final pro Monday tip: Always make sure you have that iced latte close nearby wherever you have this coffee cake. It’s still Monday after all.
Summer Blueberry Banana Crumb Coffee Cake
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries if using frozen, do not thaw
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking pan and set aside. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until smooth and creamy. Beat in yogurt, mashed banana, eggs, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Gently fold flour mixture into liquid until batter is smooth. Fold in blueberries. Scrape batter into prepared pan and set aside for a moment.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, combine all topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over coffee cake batter.
- Bake coffee cake at 350F 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool coffee cake 10 minutes, before slicing into squares and serving warm. Enjoy!
If you’re even half as obsessed as I am with blueberries…put these shortcakes on your to-do list!!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
I’m drooling over that gorgeous crumb topping, Sarah! This looks SO good! And blueberries and banana sound like the best combo ever. Definitely a winning breakfast or dessert for summer!
Thanks Gayle! It’s totally a combo made in summer coffee cake HEAVEN if you ask me!
My Monday definitely needs this! It’s looks incredible, Sarah and I love that Mt. Everest-sized pile of crumb topping!
Thanks Kelly! The more crumb topping the merrier! 😉
My stomach is growling at these pictures Sarah. Loved the combination of blueberries and banana. Pinning. 🙂
Thank you for pinning and for the super-sweet words, Puja!!
Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor says
I am obsessed with coffee cake and this blueberry banana version looks incredible!I am definitely making this soon because I already have everything I need to make it. Summer baking at it’s best!
Yay!! Let me know how it turns out if you do try it, Ashley!
Jen | Baked by an Introvert says
Coffee cake is always a welcome breakfast in my house. Pass me a huge slice!
Coming right up!! 😉
Love baking with blueberries! This cake looks delicious! Love the crumbs! Pinning!
Thank you for the pin, Mira!!
Ashley | The Recipe Rebel says
I can’t even handle this deliciousness on a Monday when I’ve got NONE in my kitchen. Why did I plan on making baked beans and potatoes today?!? Clearly I need a sweet treat! I LOVE that big thick crumb layer!
You SO need a sweet treat, Ashley! I want to send you ALL my coffee cake leftovers!! 😉
Cyndi - My Kitchen Craze says
Oh man Sarah I wish I had a huge slice of this delicious coffee cake right now! Loving all the flavors and that crumb topping…yum!!
Thanks Cyndi!! This coffee cake is so up your alley!
I’m totally game for summer baking, especially when it’s this gorgeous coffee cake! I love blueberry banana and that streusel looks off the hook delicious!
Thank you Marcie! This coffee cake most definitely sounds right up your baking alley! 🙂
These look amazing!! SO fun for summer baking! And oh my gosh Sarah, I’m OBSESSED with blueberries! I love them with a baked sweet potato, cinnamon, avocado and almond butter… strange combo, but I eat it all the time!! SO good. I love these bars! Hope that you’re having a great week!
That actually sounds so good, Cailee! I must try that!
Manali @ CookWithManali says
Look at the crumb topping!! Oh my, looks so so delicious!
Thank you Manali!
Ashlyn // Dollop Of Yum says
This coffee cake looks sooo good! I love blueberries on baked goods and I am a sucker for a good streusel!
I’m a total streusel sucker too! Aren’t we all? 😉
Just made this and it is very very good. I used brown sugar,had no coconut sugar, vanilla yogurt and I used frozen saskatoon berries instead of blueberries. I misread the label on my frozen berry bag and used 3 cups of berries instead of 2. It is still delicious
Patricia Butler says
Can you quantify the bananas a little more specifically? Bananas come in all sizes, and I don’t want to add too much or too little. Thanks.
1-1/2 cups of mashed banana is about the amount you’ll need. 🙂