Extra-flaky coconut oil biscuits and an insanely-fresh strawberry sauce are a match made in mid-summer heaven! Serve these summery biscuits for breakfast OR dessert!
I’m feeling extra summer nostalgic today, y’all. Those biscuits and strawberries you see up there? They currently have my heart and soul in these dog days of July.
And while we’re on that subject: just outta curiosity, how would you classify my addiction to summer? Weird? Overly obsessive? On point?
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that I’m pretty sure anyone lovin’ on summer racks up to ON.POINT.
Also…you should probably know that I would never admit to having an overly serious relationship with summer. Besides the fact that I’ve been eating these biscuits and strawberries like NOBODY’S business, but that’s neither here nor there.
Okay, so biscuit business. Let’s get to it.
Guys, (spoiler alert!!) I have a new biscuit obsession and it’s called coconut oil biscuits. Or more specifically, biscuits free of the butter and yet quite impossibly 1000x flakier and 1001x BETTER than regular butter biscuits.
What biscuit wizardry is this? Don’t ask me because I’m still trying to wrap my little noodle around it too.
But it’s hard because my brain is mostly just telling me to EAT ALL THE COCONUT OIL BISCUITS.
Pop quiz? What makes a perfect biscuit even perfect-er? The answer is and always will be berries. And no lies, I might have eaten half of these strawberry preserves you see with a spoon. With a tiny side of shame, but not much.
The other half served their cause as the BEST biscuit topper summer could even dream of.
Do you see this face? That is a face of summer biscuit zen.???
All you have to do to make these qualify as dessert is throw a little whipped cream or, heaven forbid, vanilla ice cream into this whole beautiful summer mess.
P.S. Please follow those exact instructions for maximum satisfaction. ↑↑
Coconut Oil Biscuits with Fresh Strawberry Preserves
Coconut Oil Biscuits
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil chilled and finely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the biscuits: Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, incorporate chilled coconut oil into flour until mixture is crumbly. Pour milk over top and gently fold dough until a shaggy dough comes together.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead a few times until dough comes together. Pat dough out to 1-in thickness and use a medium biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits. Place biscuits upside-down on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake biscuits at 425F 10-12 minutes until biscuits are a light golden brown. Cool several minutes on a wire cooling rack.
- Make the strawberries: In a large bowl, mash strawberries with sugar and vanilla until berries release their juices. Let sauce stand 10 minutes then serve with warm coconut oil biscuits. Enjoy!
Ready to go into a biscuit cuteness coma? Try these MINI-style chocolate chip biscuits next!
Bethany @ Athletic Avocado says
I’m going to have to risk it for the biscuit and try this beautiful creation! It’s like an awesome version of a strawberry shortcake! Mmmmmmmm
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
Oh this is such a gorgeous dessert, Sarah! I’ve been eating strawberries like crazy lately, so this treat looks perfect! I love that you used coconut oil in these biscuits, too. What a fun dessert for summer!
Jen | Baked by an Introvert says
Coconut oil biscuits sound amazing. I bet they are so light and flakey. And what better way to enjoy them than with fresh strawberry preserves. Love this light summer dessert!
Kristine | Kristine's Kitchen says
These photos are so beautiful, Sarah! I guess I need to try coconut oil biscuits, as these look fantastic!
This is the perfect summer dessert Sarah, looks delicious! I love that you used coconut oil here!
Oh I love the idea of using coconut oil in biscuits! These look so perfect, Sarah! I definitely think the vanilla ice cream would just take these over the top 😉
Now those are some serious biscuits! Coconut oil works magic in everything, and it certainly worked overtime here — these look incredible, Sarah! Love the strawberries, and I’d love this for breakfast!