Spring in a cupcake! These pineapple banana cupcakes are ultimately soft and tropical-y inside and a citrus cream cheese frosting piped high on top makes them completely irresistible!
So I have a crazy theory. These totally spring-like cupcakes + the literal honest-to-goodness 60+ degree days = the end of winter?
Tomorrow Wisconsin will probably be laughing in my face for saying such foolish things and by laughing I mean dumping snow all over the place.
*comforts self by eating more than a few pineapple banana cupcakes*
So if we’re being real here, guys, cupcakes are in all honesty just not something that we normally do around here. I drop a recipe here and there for cupcakes but it’s not anything frequent like our cookies or skillet meals.
Consider ‘yoself no longer denied in the cupcake department.
So cupcake base. It’s do or die for a kick-butt cupcake. And the pineapple/banana cake base for these little beauties just so happens to be KILLER.
Mashed banana makes these pineapple banana cupcakes SUPER moist while pineapple juices bumps up all the tropical flavors to the max. I could honestly eat these thingies without the frosting, buuuuuuut…
Well, frosting okay? When it doubt, just do it. Your pineapple banana cupcakes will thank you later.
And I’d like to make a public announcement that this tangy citrus cream cheese frosting is just about the best thing that you’re ever gonna pile on a
Higher + thicker heaps of frosting on your cupcake = the better, FYI.
Can we basically just say that it’s spring, guys? I think so and your pineapple banana cupcakes say so too.
Pineapple Banana Cupcakes with Citrus Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 medium bananas mashed
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with 15 wrappers. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until completely smooth. Beat in agave, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, pineapple juice, and banana until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and beat on low speed until batter is smooth.
- Fill prepared muffin tins 3/4 full of batter. Bake cupcakes at 350F 20-22 minutes until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Make the frosting: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until completely smooth. Beat in butter until creamed. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and orange zest to cream cheese mixture and beat on high speed until completely creamy. Gradually beat in just enough milk to make frosting a piping, spreadable consistency.
- Pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes and store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Make sure you try this banana snack cake next!!