French toast made waffle-style and covered with the most AMAZING mocha caramelized banana sauce ever! You’d never guess it’s ready in only 20 minutes!
I’m here to formally announce that your weekend is freaking.MADE!
Yours truly made us all a pretty sweet breakfast in other words. Is it a waffle? Is it french toast? Does it matter? It’s covered with MOCHA caramelized bananas.
And a bounty of powdered sugar. Aaaaaaaand…I’m pretty sure that whole gorgeous plate up there ^^^ is mine.
Sharing is clearly an overrated practice when it comes to things like this.
Remember that one time we went crazy with the caramelized banana sauce on coconut crepes? Today is similar to that day as in it’s neck-and-neck with being the best day ever.
I wouldn’t rule it out. We did add chocolate and coffee to our bananas this time around.
Also, FRENCH TOAST pretending to be a waffle. And also, I’m never going back to cooking french toast on a skillet again. It’s almost frighteningly easy to cook ’em on the waffle iron plus it makes them a two-in-one kinda breakfast deal.
They’re cutest and the best idea since mocha caramelized banana sauce became a thing.
A very good thing and I would highly recommend piling it high and plentiful upon your gorgeous waffled french toast.
So the goal for this weekend…is to eat as much of this heaven as humanely possible. ♥
Waffled French Toast with Mocha Caramelized Bananas
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 8 slices day-old bread
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons brewed espresso
- 3 large ripe but slightly firm bananas, sliced
- Powdered sugar for serving
- Make the french toast: In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, and agave until smooth. Dip bread slices into egg mixture and coat on both sides.
- In a heated and greased waffle iron, cook french toast one slice at a time 3-4 minutes until golden-brown. Remove from waffle iron and keep warm. Repeat with remaining bread.
- Make the caramelized bananas: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter then whisk in sugar, agave, cinnamon, cocoa, and espresso. Bring sauce to a simmer and stir occasionally until thickened and golden. Reduce heat to medium and add bananas to sauce, stirring until coated. Remove from heat.
- Serve french toast hot with sauce on top and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!