Flaky, insanely-flavorful sourdough biscuits are a match made in heaven with juicy fresh peach preserves! Summer in a biscuit.
I come bearing the best dang sourdough biscuits you may ever get your hands on.
Yes, I did say freaking SOURDOUGH biscuits. I haven’t even mentioned the peach preserves yet. ??
Killing the summer game today, friends. Obviously Friday is won.
Also, it’s biscuits on the menu all weekend and possibly all summer. Can you blame me???
Alright so aside from the fact that these biscuits are easily the most summer-iest thing you could ever make, they are also SO incredibly simple even though we’re dealing with sourdough. Just a bit of planning ahead and you’re golden!
- Sourdough starter. Flour, water, yeast. Start it the night before, cover it, and let it sit out on the counter all night.
- Next morning…it’s biscuit time! Just a standard biscuit process from here on out. Flour, butter, baking powder, etc. Cut out those beauties and bake ’em to biscuit perfection.
- Peach preserves. Peaches, sugar, lemon juice. That’s all, y’all! Bring it all to a simmer then let it cook until thick and syrupy.
Then crack those biscuits open and jam ’em full with preserves. Then drool because you know you’re gonna.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever! You know biscuits are an anytime kinda deal.
These sourdough biscuits are really just an all day kinda thing.
Sourdough Biscuits with Peach Preserves
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 lb fresh peaches, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a small bowl or jar, combine all sourdough ingredients until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature 12-18 hours or preferably overnight.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and agave. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or your fingers until butter is in pea-sized clumps. Add buttermilk and sourdough starter then gently stir until a shaggy ball of dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a lightly-floured surface and gently knead several times until dough forms a smooth ball. Roll dough out to 1-in thickness and cut out biscuits using a 2-in biscuit cutter. Place biscuits 1-in apart upside-down on prepared baking sheet. Bake biscuits at 425F 11-12 minutes until golden brown.
- In a small saucepan, bring peaches, sugar, and lemon juice to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and stir occasionally until peaches are reduced and syrupy, about 15 minutes.
- Serve biscuits warm with peach preserves and enjoy!