Swirled with a luscious cream cheese filling and drizzled with tons of coffee glaze, these cream cheese morning buns are the best holiday breakfast you’ll ever wake up to!
Meet the morning buns that’ll make you MORE than happy to roll outta bed in the wee hours of morning ‘err morning.
Aka, like 9:45 am if we’re being real. That’s at least how long I’m sleeping tomorrow after taking my last final today and being officially on freaking winter break, HALLELUJAH.
I’ll wake up every dang morning on my winter break as long as one or twenty two of these cream cheese morning buns are waiting for me. They are the freaking real holiday brunch deal, guys.
Dealing out something kinda like the dreamiest, fluffiest morning bun. Swirled with a cream cheese filling and covered in the coffee glaze of perfection. ??
Don’t let that yeast bread/swirl game scare ya away from tackling these beauties, friends. A little planning ahead and you are GOLDEN with the breakfast game and I promise that most of that time is inactive too.
Cause basically we’ve just got a standard sweet rolls/cinnamon roll base dough that’s rolled out just like cinnamon rolls and spread with a cheesecake filling and folded up, sliced into strips, and twisted into rolls. Baked ’til golden, yeasty perfection, ya know the drill.
ARE THEY NOT THE MOST GORGEOUS THING EVER.
Gorgeous taken to the next level when coffee glaze makes an appearance. YES. ??
These are for reals the fluffiest, dreamiest breakfast morning bun you will ever consume in your life, friends. I want breakfast at all hours of the day now.
Make sure you have a huge gang around to help eat them ALL. Trust me on this, they’re one of those things that you WILL, in fact, want for breakfast at all hours of the day.
Cream Cheese Morning Buns with Coffee Glaze
- 1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast (2-1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm milk (110F)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup melted butter, cooled
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon strong-brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon half and half cream
- In the bowl of a large stand mixer, fitted with a dough hook, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Let stand 5 minutes until foamy. Mix in sugar, melted butter, eggs, salt, and 4 cups flour on medium speed until dough pulls away from sides of bowl into a ball. (if dough seems too sticky, add additional flour by the tablespoon until it comes together)
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Cream Cheese Filling
- In a large bowl, beat softened cream cheese with sugar until completely creamy. Beat in vanilla and half and half until smooth. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Assemble the buns: Punch risen dough down. On a floured surface, roll into a 12x18 rectangle. Spread cream cheese filling over half of dough to within 1/2-in of edges. Fold opposite half over cream cheese filling and pinch edges to seal.
- Cut dough along the length side into 9-in strips. Twist each strip and tie into a knot, tucking and pinching edges underneath and place 2-in apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Let buns rise in a warm place 30 minutes or until doubled. Bake buns at 375F 20-25 minutes or until a deep golden brown. Cool on wire cooling racks.
- In a small bowl, whisk all glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cooled buns and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!