Lo mein noodles are tossed in a sesame sauce with tender sauteed shiitake mushrooms and sweet peppers for the ultimate take out-style dinner! Make a double batch for awesome leftovers.
You are looking at the lo mein noodles that were literally my dinner every night for a straight week.
Yes, I had other food available. No, I had no interest whatsoever in eating said other food when I had sesame lo mein noodles burning a hole in my food mind.
In other news…..meet the lo mein that is gonna keep the take-out boxes outta your house for the foreseeable future and beyond.
There. Is. No. Getting. Enough. Of. This.
If you ask me, the key to any great meal starts with the SAUCE. I will loudly proclaim from the rooftops my fondness for any kind of stir-fry sauce, only today’s beauty is slightly different. There’s no thickener for one thing, it’s just giving sweet peppers + sliced shiitake mushrooms a quick saute in sesame oil and then building the rest of the sauce right in the same pan.
Soy sauce, rice vinegar, a little sugar, fresh ginger, and sesame seeds make up the bulk of our quick sesame sauce and seriously, simple is better here. It is SO freaking good.
Then we nestle a huuuuuuge mess of cooked lo mein noodles into all that goodness, making sure that every single little noodle is properly covered. A shower of green onions later and it’s face shove CITY.
I don’t think take-out could be this good if it even tried.
Seriously, HUGE batches of this, eat it all week. Trust me.
Sesame Lo Mein Noodles with Shiitake Mushrooms + Sweet Peppers
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 14 oz cooked lo mein noodles
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil over medium-high heat. Saute mushrooms and sweet pepper in oil until just tender. Add garlic and saute 1 additional minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and sesame seeds until smooth. Return veggie pan to medium heat and add sauce. Bring to a low simmer.
- Add lo mein noodles and scallions to sauce and toss into sauce until coated. Cook over medium heat until noodles are heated through. Season noodles with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot and enjoy!