Flaky homemade lemon butter biscuits are filled to capacity with tangy raspberries, creamy lemon curd, and lots of fluffy whipped cream for the ultimate summer lemon raspberry shortcakes!
You’re looking at the quintessential summer strawberry shortcake’s biggest competitor this summer.
Just sayin’, those luscious raspberries and freakin’ HOMEMADE lemon curd make a strong argument. ??
Guys, you are looking at the one (ok, of many) summer things I would destroy all day EVERY freaking day all summer. You know those summer things I’m talking about? These lemon raspberry shortcakes are ranking in that list.
A big hot lemon butter biscuit piled with whipped cream, juicy strawberries, and ALL the tangy lemon curd makes a pretty convincing pitch, I gotta say.
So the first step to making a bomb shortcake is starting with a bomb biscuit. Using my standard biscuit recipe, we’re gonna shake this winner up by adding a bit of lemon juice + zest and then baking ’em till they’re big and flaky and you’re half-inclined to eat half of them straight off the sheet. (true story)
Next up we’ve got a super simple raspberry filling. Just smashed raspberries with a bit of sugar + lemon juice and we’re good to go.
I go over the lemon curd recipe in detail in the recipe below, but just know that it is SO easy to whip up. You’ll be eating it with a spoon it’s so good.
Split open one of those biscuits PIPING hot and pile it high with all of said goodness.
Summer dessert GOALS right here. xoxoxo
Lemon Raspberry Shortcakes with Lemon Curd
- 2-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh (or frozen and thawed) raspberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Using fingers OR a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture forms pea-sized clumps. Top with lemon juice, zest, and milk and gently stir until dough just comes together.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead 1 to 2 times until dough is smooth. Roll dough out to 1-in thickness and cut out biscuits using a 3-in biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits 2-in apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake biscuits at 450F 14-15 minutes or until golden. Cool biscuits on a wire cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, slightly mash raspberries with lemon and sugar. Let stand 5 minutes until juices begin to come out.
- In the bottom pot of a double-boiler, bring a few inches of water to a boil, then reduce heat to low to keep water at a simmer. Whisk egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, and zest into the top bowl of double boiler and place on top of bottom pot of simmering water.
- Whisk lemon curd continuously so the egg yolks don't curdle, Continue whisking orange curd over simmering water until curd becomes smooth and thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Remove curd from heat and immediately add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time whisking well after each addition. (if you are making lemon curd ahead of time and refrigerate it it will slightly solidify---to get it to drizzling consistency, whisk in a few teaspoons of water)
- Split biscuits open and fill with raspberry filling and lemon curd. Serve immediately and enjoy!