Hands down the BEST grilled tandoori chicken skewers you will ever throw on the grill this summer. The secret is in the SUPER flavorful long marinade and homemade tzatziki sauce.
I do, in fact, mean the freaking BEST, you guys. I don’t say the B word that often unless I really truly mean it.
And these grilled tandoori chicken skewers are worthy of that. Worthy of a permanent spot on your grill 24/7 aaaaaall summer long. Or whatever’s left of it. (I know, depressing)
My point is the time is NOW for soaking up every bit of summer because there’s still a decent chunk of it left. Which means you should be doing nothing other than dipping the best ever tandoori chicken skewers in tzatziki sauce. Rinse and repeat.
P.S. Tzatziki is hands down the hardest word ever to spell. I’ve pretty much given up which way is THE way to spell it correctly, sorry.
Let’s get down to chicken biz!
The not-so-secret trick behind what makes this tandoori chicken SO incredibly flavorful and tasting like it just got air-dropped from India is in…….the marinade. Yes, that involves a little bit of extra wait time, yes it is worth every millisecond.
I like to do this chicken the night before because….
- It eliminates all prep the next day.
- Gives the chicken time to soak up ALL DA GOODS. The marinade is just a simple spiced yogurt, but pair that with juicy chicken thighs and that’s really all you need to make the best ever tandoori chicken. It’s juicy, slightly spicy, and massively flavorful.
Obviously you need THAT sauce that I can’t spell to save my life on hand to dip these skewers in.
Honestly, I would not recommend serving these tandoori chicken skewers without the tzat. It brings all the flavors in for a home run.
Hello, if you’re not filling your grill with these skewers right this second what are you even doing with your life??
Best-ever, guys. Try and convince me otherwise.
The Best Grilled Tandoori Chicken Skewers
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-in pieces
- 1-1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cucumber
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk yogurt garlic, ginger, all the spices and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place chicken cubes in marinade toss until they're evenly submerged in the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and marinade chicken in fridge at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Once chicken is done marinading, remove from marinade and pat dry. Discard marinade. Thread chicken onto wooden or metal skewers.
- Grill tandoori chicken over medium-high heat 4-5 minutes on each side, turning occasionally until chicken registers 160F, about 10 minutes of cook time total. Keep chicken warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk all sauce ingredients until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve tandoori chicken skewers hot with tzatziki sauce. Enjoy!