Dark guinness beer, tender shiitake mushrooms, and juicy steak transform a classic comfort food into a SUPER cozy mushroom steak shepherd’s pie that will be a permanent spot on the dinner menu!
I kid you not, y’all, last week we got roughly around 6 inches of snow. In October. BEFORE HALLOWEEN!!
So you see why I am currently burying my face in guinness shiitake mushroom steak shepherd’s pie. Literally the only thing that could keep a person going throughout this insanity.
And ice cream, cause regardless of the snow, that is a necessity even if you have to bury yourself in 27 blankets whilst eating it.
The perfect coping food actually does exist because this mushroom steak shepherd’s pie is LITERALLY locked and loaded with it all.
We’ve got dark, flavorful Guinness beer which btw is this girl’s FAV beer, the end. We’ve got tender little steak cubes with ‘dem pretty shiitake mushies. Oodles of other cozy veggie goodness hanging out in tons of sauce. And taters + cheese obv. Just your everyday November basics.
The BEST part about a shepherd’s pie for me is that they are literally the most bomb thing you could ever do with leftover mashed potatoes. If I ever have a decent amount of mashed potatoes it’s always a given they’re getting thrown in a shepherd’s pie. The end.
The sauce base of this mushroom steak shepherd’s pie is mostly Guinness and trust me on this: it’s the secret to getting all the incredible flavors you’re able to in only a few minutes. We’ve also got all your shepherd’s pie basics such as carrots, peas, onions, meat, etc all cozy in the sauce. It’s a thing of cozy food beauty.
Regardless if you’re buried in snow already or still wearing shorts, the fact of the matter is that you NEED this shepherd’s pie.
Yes, you need another Guinness nearby while you’re face-shoving it. Not optional.
Guiness Shiitake Mushroom Steak Shepherd's Pie
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 lb top round steak, cut into 1-in cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-in cubes
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 12 oz guinness beer
- 1 cup beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes (leftovers work great!)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- In a medium cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add steak and saute several minutes until no longer pink. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same pan and add onions, carrots, and mushrooms. Saute several minutes until veggies are tender. Add garlic and saute 1 minute until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to medium and add flour, stirring until combined. Slowly drizzle in guinness and beef broth until smooth. Add steak cubes and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Remove pan from heat and spoon mashed potatoes over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake shepherd's pie at 400F 25-30 minutes until top is a deep golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with green onions. Serve shepherd's pie hot and enjoy!