Roasted to perfection in a flavorful rosemary garlic butter and covered in hearty red wine sauce, this rosemary garlic butter beef tenderloin is an easy, yet impressive entree for any dinner crowd. —Beef tenderloin does NOT need to be intimidating to make at home!
Conquering intimidating dinner meals, one beef tenderloin at a time over here. ??
I know a big cut of beef like this sounds and looks terrifying, but trust me. I am RIGHT there with you. And I personally think that I have discovered the most STRESS-FREE and nearly spot-on perfect way to tackle the grandfather of all beef, aka roast beef tenderloin.
P.S. Rosemary garlic butter + red wine sauce are definitely involved. ?
I’d go so far as to say that this rosemary garlic butter beef tenderloin is total weeknight material because THIS girl did it and you bet Jason and I were eating well in the leftover department all week.
BUT. If you’re looking to impress the heck outta some dinner guests, I’d recommend tucking this beef tenderloin recipe in your back pocket.
Honestly, we’re gonna be treating this rosemary garlic butter beef tenderloin VERY similar to how we would cook a regular ‘ol steak dinner. It’s just a little bit bigger, no sweat.
- Salt ‘n’ pepper your tenderloin and then we will ATTEMPT to sear this bad boy in a cast iron the best we can. If it’s too big to fit, just keep turning it in batches to make sure every inch gets a nice sear.
- Then, we’re gonna employ rosemary garlic butter to get smothered into EVERY inch of the tenderloin and then let the oven take care of business.
- Couple things for roasting this tenderloin: We’re going to do a HIGH temp of 400F and because of this high temp, it will only take a good 20-25 minutes for the tenderloin to reach an internal temp of 120-125 which should be a beautiful medium rare cook. (for those of you who like your meat more on the done side, no worries! There will be plenty of slices near the outside that will be less rare)
- SAUCE. Nice and simple red wine reduction sauce that quite frankly, takes this garlic butter roast beef tenderloin TO THE NEXT LEVEL.
Seriouslyyy. This beef is just going to melt in your mouth it’s so freaking tender and juicy.
Just don’t confess to your dinner guests that this tenderloin was about the easiest thing you’ve ever made in your life.
Rosemary Garlic Butter Beef Tenderloin with Red Wine Sauce
- 1 (5 lb) beef tenderloin, fat trimmed and patted dry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (plus 3 whole cloves for roasting)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary (plus a couple sprigs for roasting)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400F. Season beef tenderloin all over with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, minced garlic, and rosemary. Set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and oil and swirl pan until melted. Add beef tenderloin to pan and sear all sides until golden brown. Remove tenderloin from heat and place in a baking dish. Brush with half of garlic rosemary butter. Arrange garlic cloves and rosemary around tenderloin. (set cast iron pan aside for later)
- Bake tenderloin at 400F 20-25 minutes until tenderloin reaches an internal temp of 120-125. Remove from pan to a cutting board and brush with remaining butter. Cover loosely with foil and let rest 10 minutes.
- While tenderloin is resting, drain drippings from cast iron pan, reserving 1 tablespoon. Heat pan over medium-high heat and add red wine, stock, and vinegar. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer until reduced and thickened.
- Slice rested beef tenderloin and serve warm with red wine sauce. Serve immediately and enjoy!