Buttery shortbread crust and a luscious grapefruit filling are an incredible duo in these tangy shortbread grapefruit bars that are the perfect way to use up extra citrus fruit!
Suffice to say, it is SPRING all up in here today, you guys.
I mean look at that color. Check out that citrus. Please don’t look at me stuffing like 6 of these in my face currently.
I always FREAK over citrus this time of year and push SO many citrus recipes in your face. I just can’t not, it’s SO good right now.
The other day, I used an orange in a salad I was recipe-testing and literally picked all the orange wedges I could find out of the salad and set them aside for myself. (sorry, Jason)
These shortbread grapefruit bars? Freaking ridiculous in every good way possible.
These grapefruit bars are going to actually VERY closely follow preparation of classic lemon bars. >>
Honestly, if you don’t have grapefruits in the house right now, you can EASILY sub out lemon, orange, or lime juice + zest in these bars.
The crust is going to consist of a SUPER simple, classic shortbread crust. Only four ingredients: butter, sugar, vanilla, flour. Quick chill in the fridge and a quick pre-bake in the oven. Done.
Then comes the filling which features a whole 3/4 cup of grapefruit juice and 2 tablespoons zest.
You’re going to need a couple other citrus bar basics like flour, sugar, eggs, etc…Before ya know it, we’ve got a beautiful filling that bakes up into a gorgeous orange color with an incredibly silky texture and tangy grapefruit flavors.
And are they ever GORGEOUS! Pretty desserts like this are always a fast and furious yeeeeeeessss.
Make these grapefruit bars asap, you guys! It’s freaking spring!
MORE spring-inspired eats you’ve gotta try!
Shortbread Grapefruit Bars
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons grated grapefruit zest
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together with a handheld mixer until completely creamed, about 2 minutes. Fold in vanilla, salt and flour until a dough forms.
- Pat dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake at 350F 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool slightly while you prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl, whisk all filling ingredients until smooth. Pour over crust and bake custard bars at 350F an additional 30-35 minutes until the filling is set (the center may still slightly jiggle)
- Cool bars completely on a wire cooling rack then chill completely before dusting with powdered sugar, slicing into squares and serving. Enjoy!