Flavorful orange zest and spicy fresh ginger add the perfect touch of festive flavors to this orange ginger cranberry galette! So much easier to make than standard pie and always a dessert hit.
Cranberries are just all around my favorite ingredient this time of year. (are you noticing a theme? ?)
Since Wisconsin is the leading producer of cranberries in the U.S. we residents get access to the most incredible fresh cranberries and it is a SWEET deal to say the least!
And things like this orange ginger cranberry galette are born and completely devoured on pretty much the same day.
Everyone knows that orange and cranberries are the dream team duo, but what about enhancing this combo with a little spicy ginger?
Piling everything into galette form keeps things VERY easy in the prep department and no pie baking skills required!
This Cranberry Galette features…
- A golden, buttery, INCREDIBLY flaky crust
- Tangy, bursting fresh cranberries
- Fresh orange juice + zest and just a hint of spicy fresh ginger
Making the Cranberry Galette
(scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe!)
This is the same crust we use for all the pies and galettes you see on my blog. It’s just a very simple flour-butter-salt-sugar-water crust but it is GOLD.
My tips for making the best pastry dough?
- Make sure your butter is VERY cold when you’re working it into the dough
- Chill the dough prior to rolling it out
- Bottom line, is you want your dough as COLD as possible prior to baking
To make the filling, you’ll need fresh cranberries, (or frozen and thawed) a little sugar + honey for sweetening, cornstarch for thickening, a pinch of salt, orange juice + zest, and fresh grated ginger.
Roll your chilled pastry dough out into a 12-in circle, place on a large baking sheet, and pile the cranberry filling in the middle to within 2 inches of edges.
Begin folding up the edges of the dough and fold over to just barely cover cranberries (you should have about a 2-in wide border)
Brush the crust well with egg wash, sprinkle with a little extra sugar, and bake the galette at 375F 35-40 minutes until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly (some of the juices may leak out of tart, this is ok!)
Let the galette cool at least 30 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving!
Tips and Tricks for Galettes
- Don’t worry about making your galette perfect when folding the crust! Galettes are meant to be on the rustic side, so the more imperfections, the better.
- Again, the COLDER your dough the better. Cold fats = flakier crust.
- Don’t skip the egg wash! It really helps the crust shine and turn a lovely golden brown while it bakes.
The golden crust, the juicy cranberries, the lovely combo of flavors from the orange and ginger…this galette is just all around a dessert dream!
If you’ve got a bag of cranberries lying around the house, you know what you should be doing with them now!
A few other galette recipes you’re going to love!
- Skillet Apple Raspberry Galette
- Mini Lavender Mascarpone Blueberry Galettes
- Ricotta Basil Pesto Cherry Tomato Galette
Orange Ginger Cranberry Galette
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, shredded on a box grater and frozen
- 4-5 tablespoons ice water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (if using frozen, thaw completely)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 large egg white, whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- Sugar for dusting galette, optional
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet or a pizza stone with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and use your fingers or a pastry cutter to work butter into flour until butter is in pea-sized clumps. Drizzle 4 tablespoons ice water over flour and gently toss until dough comes together into a shaggy mass. (if dough seems too dry, drizzle in extra tablespoon)
- Turn dough onto a surface and very gently knead several times until smooth. Form dough into a smooth disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill dough 30 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- In a medium bowl, combine cranberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, honey, orange juice, zest, and ginger.
- Remove dough from fridge and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12-in circle (about 1/8-inch thickness) and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet OR a pizza stone. (if using pizza stone, place a pan on rack underneath to catch any cranberry drippings)
- Spread cranberry filling onto dough to within 2 inches of edges. Gather up edges of dough and fold over, just barely covering filling to create a border. Brush galette crust with egg/water wash and sprinkle with extra sugar if desired.
- Bake galette at 375F 30-35 minutes until pastry is golden brown and cranberries are bubbly. Remove from oven and cool at least 30 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving. Enjoy!