Creamy ricotta and flavorful basil pesto compliment sweet summer-fresh cherry tomatoes incredibly in this beautiful summertime cherry tomato galette!
PSA: August is TOMATOOOO season and you need to celebrate accordingly >>> with a freakin gorgeous cherry tomato galette on repeat all month.
Looks like fancy pastry food but it is LAZY food all the way. What August needs after a whirlwind summer so far, right? Here’s to slowing down and eating all the ricotta basil pesto cherry tomato galette. ??
A galette is literally one of my favorite pie pastries to make because it’s SO incredibly hard to mess up. Messing up in the kitchen is no fun as we all know, so the harder stuff is to mess up the happier we’ll all be.
The beauty of galettes is that a) they’re free-form so there’s no messing around with pie pans and fancy crusts. It’s meant to be rustic and imperfect. b) sweet, savory, anything and everything in between goes here!
Today we’re gonna fill this beauty with a thick layer of creamy ricotta cheese, an even THICKER layer of homemade basil pesto, pile some beautiful halved cherry tomatoes inside, and then you KNOW we’re drizzling more pesto on top + fresh basil and Parm. All in or nothing, y’all.
As far as pastry goes, you can make your own standard pastry crust or just use storebought. Seriously, whatever is most convenient and less work for you. Give yourself enough time to sit out on the patio with that glass of wine and soak up all dat SUMMAH.
The way the pure sweetness of the cherry tomato highlights the zingy basil pesto and creamy ricotta all sitting on top of a buttery pastry crust is a thing of pure summer magic, guys, gee whiz.
Suffice to say, August EATS are here. ??
Ricotta Basil Pesto Cherry Tomato Galette
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pie pastry for one 9-in pie
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups halved fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 large egg, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Place basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste in a food processor. Drizzle olive oil through top while running food processor, scraping down the sides as necessary until pesto is smooth. Set aside for a moment.
- Roll prepared pie dough out into a 9-in circle. Spread ricotta cheese to within 1-in of edges and top with half of pesto. Arrange cherry tomatoes in the middle.
- Gather up edges of dough and fold over tomatoes to create a 1-in border. Brush the crust of galette with egg/water wash and drizzle remaining pesto over tomatoes. Top with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake galette at 400F 30-35 minutes until crust is golden and tomatoes are bubbly. Cool galette at least 10 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving warm. Enjoy!