This air fryer chicken milanese features perfectly crispy breaded chicken cutlets topped with a flavorful white wine sauce and piled over a bed of angel hair pasta.
The air fryer is winning the whole dinner game today. With the help of plenty of white wine sauce and pasta, of course.
Your weeknight dinner lineup is about to get one heck of a new addition.
Classic milanese style means a cut of meat that is pounded thin, breaded, and pan fried until perfectly crispy. Our version relies on the air fryer to get the chicken cutlets crispy which means we don’t have to use quite as much fat.
As if that wasn’t freaking delicious enough, we’re also smothering the crispy chicken cutlets in garlicky white wine sauce and piling the whole deal over a bed of angel hair pasta. Pure dinner bliss.
This Air Fryer Chicken Milanese features…
- Crispy breaded air fried chicken cutlets.
- Flavorful reduced white wine sauce.
- Tender angel hair pasta for serving.
- Weeknight friendly and ready in only 50 minutes.
Making The Air Fryer Chicken Milanese
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- All-purpose flour
- Italian breadcrumbs
- White wine
- Red pepper flakes
- Unsalted butter
- Canola oil pan spray
- Angel hair pasta
Choosing Your Chicken
We recommend using boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. This cut of chicken can be pounded very thin so it cooks up quickly and perfectly crispy.
To prepare the chicken breasts, cut each breast in half width-wise, place between two sheets of wax paper, and pound until very thin using a rolling pin or meat mallet.
Tips for Perfect Chicken Milanese
- Reduce white wine sauce – allow white wine sauce to reduce over medium-low heat until thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Cover pan and keep warm.
- Use standard breading procedure – standard breading starts with coating chicken in flour, then dipping in egg mixture, and finally rolling in breadcrumbs until evenly coated.
- Preheat air fryer – preheat for about 3 minutes before adding the chicken.
- Air fry chicken in batches – it’s important to give the chicken plenty of room to air fry so it cooks up crispy.
- Spray air fryer basket and chicken with pan spray – since we’re relying on the convection from the air fryer to cook the chicken, this added little bit of fat is necessary for the chicken to brown nicely.
- Squeeze lemon juice over chicken – a little bitof fresh lemon juice adds a lovely bright flavor to the chicken before adding the white wine sauce.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this chicken!
- Add sauteed veggies – zucchini, summer squash, spinach, mushrooms, or peppers would be a great veggie addition alongside this chicken!
- Use a different pasta – spaghetti, farfalle, rigatoni, or bucatini would be great pastas to use in place of the angel hair.
- Try more fresh herbs – minced fresh chives or basil would be incredible herby additions!
Stovetop and Oven Instructions
Don’t have an air fryer? You can still make this recipe using either the stovetop or oven.
Oven: place chicken cutlets in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan and spray well with pan spray. Bake chicken at 400F 10-15 minutes until chicken is crispy and registers 165F.
Stovetop: heat 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken cutlets and pan fry, turning once until chicken is crispy and registers 165F.
The crispiness from the chicken paired with the deeply flavorful white wine sauce and tender angel hair is the most incredible trio of flavors and textures in this dish! It tastes like fancy food but it’s seriously so easy.
Just don’t skimp on that white wine sauce. That’s where the magic happens.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
You’ll love these other air fryer favorites!
Air Fryer Chicken Milanese with White Wine Sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 lbs)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% or skim milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- Canola oil pan spray
- Warm angel hair pasta for serving
- 2 medium lemon wedges
- Minced fresh parsley for serving
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add wine and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer 5-10 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cover pan to keep warm.
- Cut each chicken breast in half width-wise so you have 4 thin chicken cutlets. Pound chicken cutlets flat between two sheets of wax paper using a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and milk together until smooth. Place flour in a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Place breadcrumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge chicken cutlets in flour, shaking off excess. Dip cutlets in egg, then roll in breadcrumbs until fully coated. Place on a plate.
- Preheat air fryer to 400F for 3 minutes. Spray basket well with pan spray, then lay chicken cutlets in a single layer (work in batches as necessary) and spray well with pan spray.
- Air fry chicken at 400F 8-10 minutes until cutlets are crispy and register 165F. Repeat cooking with remaining chicken.
- Arrange chicken cutlets on top of individual servings of angel hair pasta. Squeeze lemon juice over chicken and top with a few spoonfuls of white wine sauce. Garnish with parsley and serve chicken immediately. Enjoy!
Mark Holloway says
This looks soooo good!
Thanks so much, Mark! Hope you get a chance to try. 🙂