Enjoy chicken alfredo lightened-up in these cheesy spinach-loaded spaghetti squash boats!
Team Spaghetti Squash all the things is BACK. And fancy that, it’s covered in chicken alfredo and cheeeeeese. Just what my and your Tuesday ordered.
So let’s talk about our Tuesday goals today: devour every molecule of the chicken alfredo spaghetti squash boats and leave no evidence behind. Nothing to see here.
I might be a liiiiitle biased against these since I have a passion for all the creamy things, but honestly, ANYTHING is destined to be amazing when you throw chicken alfredo into the partaaay.
Case-in-POINT. —> Observe conclusive evidence below. —>
Bye, diet. It’s been real. 😉
This definitely isn’t my first rodeo with spaghetti squash, y’all. To be honest, the first one that YOU saw was only three weeks ago, but I’ve secretly been going completely nuts behind the scenes with spaghetti squash. We’re talking two-ish times per week for dinner complete with emergency trips to the store every so often when I accidentally eat it all.
Wait, it’s not just me, though. My mom is equally guilty of this Obsessive Spaghetti Squash Binge Disorder.
Let us review what all’s going on for Team SS today…
Homemade lighter alfredo sauce —> Chicken. —> Spinach (green automatically = health food. Go with it) All of the above meets previously-cooked spaghetti squash boats….
Cheese enters the picture and the rest is history. Gone without a trace. See yaaa.
You might want to seriously consider buying your grocery store out of all the spaghetti squash you can carry. Undoubtedly, you are going to find yourself making this chicken alfredo spaghetti squash morning, noon, and night.
And I’m already right there with you, so feel no shame, friends. 🙂
Now…uh, the minuscule amount of leftovers call my name and I must listen.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F. Drizzle olive oil over cut side of spaghetti squash halves and place upside-down on a baking sheet. Bake spaghetti squash at 400F 30-40 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and once cool enough to handle, use a fork to shred inside of boats into spaghetti strands. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, saute garlic in butter until just fragrant. Whisk in flour until smooth, then gradually add milk and half-and-half, whisking constantly until combined. Bring sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg, Parmesan, chicken, spinach, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide chicken alfredo sauce between the two spaghetti squash boats and gently toss with fork until filling is combined. Divide cheddar cheese between the two boats, sprinkling evenly on top.
- Bake spaghetti squash boats an additional 15-20 minutes at 375F until cheese is melted and filling is bubbly. Enjoy spaghetti squash right away!