Mmmm. I am welcoming soup season with open arms. I’ve been going kind of crazy with soup lately, even though the weather recently warmed up and has been absolutely gorgeous outside. High 70’s and sunny every day has been much appreciated from me! But guys, I just can’t wait any longer to pull out my soup pots. My first soup recipe of the year (My all-time favorite!) was a pumpkin chili that got rave reviews from my family and promises to myself that more soup recipes were definitely in order.
Next on my soup list was a potato soup and boy, did it turn out delish. It took two tries to get this soup suited to my family’s tastes, but my family agrees that it was well worth the time it took! My siblings LOVE this soup and get excited when I tell them that potato soup is on the menu for dinner.
You will not BELIEVE how easy-peasy this soup is. A few simple ingredients, 30 minutes of your time, and ‘voila! A comforting dinner is on the table in record time. The main ingredient in this soup is mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter). This soup is an EXCELLENT way to use up leftover mashed potatoes you might have sitting in the fridge. I myself don’t usually have leftover mashed potatoes, so I like to cook and mash my potatoes early in the morning, and then throw everything together for the soup later in the day.
Now, don’t let the title fool you: This soup is unbelievably creamy, but guess what? There’s not a speck of heavy cream or butter in this soup. The base for this soup consists of for basic ingredients: Milk, flour, chicken broth, and mashed potatoes. You would never guess just by tasting it, that this soup is actually light.
I gave this soup a nice kick of flavor by using sour cream and cheddar cheese. My family loves topping their individual bowls of soup with extra sour cream and cheese. It melts instantly and becomes warm and gooey…It’s heaven on earth 😀 The spices I chose to use are pretty simple, but they really bring out the potato and cheese flavors: Dried parsley, dried minced onion, salt, and pepper. Super simple, but super effective in bringing out this soup’s comforting flavors.
Just because I wanted my soup to have a bit of texture, I decided to brown up some ground turkey and toss it in the pot. Good decision on my part..I do like my creamy soups to have a bit of texture and ground turkey was the perfect solution because (yay!) it is also low-fat!
Light and comforting potato soup in only 30 minutes? Umm. Yes, please! Who doesn’t love a good potato soup?
Hooray for soup-season! 😀
Creamy Potato Cheddar Soup
- 1-1/2 lbs ground beef
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 6 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups peeled cooked, and mashed baking potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced dried onion
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- Additional cheddar cheese and sour cream for garnish optional
- In a large saucepan, brown ground turkey until no longer pink. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, milk, and chicken broth together in a large pot. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Stir in mashed potatoes, breaking up clumps against the edge of the pan. Stir constantly over medium heat until soup is simmering. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and sour cream until cheese is melted. Add salt, pepper, onion, parsley, and browned ground turkey, stirring until combined.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with additional cheddar cheese and sour cream if desired.
Any other soup recipes I should try this season? Any suggestions welcome!