This skillet caramel apple crisp features tender apple slices in a rich homemade caramel sauce and topped with a buttery oat streusel topping. Enjoy this classic fall dessert warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
It’s not fall unless you’ve got a banger apple crisp recipe up your sleeve! Lucky for you this caramel-y apple crisp goodness ticks all the boxes.
Also, is it just me or do desserts that are baked in a skillet almost always taste better?? Regardless, we can all agree that this apple crisp is fall perfection and you need it in your life.
Preferably with extra caramel on top.
This apple crisp is pretty much one of those foolproof desserts and even novice bakers will have no problems pulling this off! Yes, we’re even making our own caramel and I PROMISE it’s so easy.
This Apple Crisp features…
- Tender apples in a sweet homemade caramel sauce
- A buttery spiced oat streusel topping
- Incredible warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Minutes to make and always a hit fall dessert
Making the Apple Crisp
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy whipping cream
- Kosher salt
- Old-fashioned rolled oats
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Ice cream or whipped cream
Choosing Your Apples
This recipe works well with a variety of apple types. We typically try to stick with a sweeter, crisp apple that holds its shape in a crisp such as gala, honeycrisp, braeburn, or jonathans.
We do recommend you stay away from using granny smith apples in particular for this crisp because we found they give it a bit of a too-tart flavor and require more sugar to balance that.
Tips for Perfect Apple Crisp
- Make homemade caramel – we love the amazing flavor the simple homemade caramel sauce gives this apple crisp. It comes together easily on the stovetop in only a few minutes.
- Cut apples in uniform size – peel the apples and cut them into uniform 1/4-inch thick slices so they all cook at the same rate.
- Use old-fashioned rolled oats for topping – this gives the streusel a perfect heartiness and lots of texture.
- Reserve some of caramel for drizzling – this adds a lovely finishing touch to the crisp once its finished baking.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this apple crisp.
- Add another fruit – try adding a handful of cranberries, blueberries, or raspberries to the apple filling.
- Use pre-made caramel sauce – we love the homemade caramel sauce, but using pre-made will definitely speed up this recipe a bit. You will need about 1/2 cup caramel sauce in place of our homemade recipe.
- Add chocolate – try sprinkling 1/4 cup semisweet or white chocolate chips on top of streusel.
- Use a regular baking dish – if you don’t have a cast iron skillet, feel free to use a 9-inch round or square baking dish instead.
How To Serve Apple Crisp
We recommend serving this apple crisp warm from the oven with either scoops of vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream on top. Don’t forget the extra caramel drizzles!
This apple crisp may be stored up to 3 days in refrigerator, but we do recommend reheating individual servings in microwave before serving for best results.
There’s just nothing better than caramel, apples, and streusel all hanging out in the same glorious dessert! You’re going to have to physically hold yourself back from diving straight into this skillet with a spoon.
Don’t forget the XL scoops of ice cream on top of this goodness! It’d be a crime against fall not to.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this apple crisp made step-by-step on Google web stories.
More incredible apple desserts to try next!
Skillet Caramel Apple Crisp
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Caramel Apple Filling
- 6 medium apples, peeled and cut 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted melted butter
- Ice cream or whipped cream for serving
Caramel Apple Filling
- Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange apples in the bottom of a greased 9-inch oven-safe cast iron skillet.
- Place sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat and allow to melt. Once melted, whisk in butter and bring to a boil. Slowly add cream (carefully, it will splatter) whisking constantly and allow caramel to cook until golden brown and bubbly, about 3-5 minutes. Remove caramel from heat and mix in salt.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons caramel for later. Drizzle remaining caramel over apples and set aside for a moment.
- In a medium bowl, combine all streusel ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over apples.
- Bake apple crisp at 350F 30-35 minutes until apples are bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Allow crisp to cool slightly then drizzle with remaining caramel sauce and serve warm with ice cream and whipped cream. Enjoy!
This post was updated with new recipe adjustments and photos on 10/6/23.