Smooth and creamy homemade pesto with lots of fresh spinach, basil, and Parmesan cheese. Easy recipe and ready in less than 5 minutes!
I am craving fresh fruits, veggies and basically anything cherry and colorful. Particularly on this cloudy, 10 degree mid-February day.
This is that annual time of year when I start getting anxious for warm temperatures, sunny skies, and COLOR. Right now the only color I see when I look outside is grey, grey, white, grey. Ick. Bring on spring and all the bright colors AND fresh recipes that come with it!
I’m diving into spring a little early this year—I just can’t wait any longer to bring out recipes loaded with fresh fruits, veggies, and COLOR!
Pesto is a must on this particular day. I am crazy-in-love with pesto. I put it on everything. From salads, to pasta, and even pizza!
♥ Here are my top favorite ways to use pesto ♥
- On top of a green salad
- On sandwiches
- Used in the place of tomato sauce on pizza (don’t knock it ’til you try it! One of my favorite kinds of pizza!)
- In pasta
- Sauteed with fresh veggies
- As a sauce for meat (we love it on baked chicken or salmon!)
- Dipping sauce for veggies
My little photo-shoot buddy wanted to know what “that green stuff” was. ♥
I think she’s kind of used to watching me photograph mainly sweet stuff.
My entire family all agree that this is the best pesto I’ve ever made. It’s so smooth and creamy and packed with tons of fresh spinach and basil flavor, nutty Parmesan cheese and pine nuts, and just a pinch of fresh garlic for flavor. It far surpasses any store-bought pesto by a mile.
It is also the easiest pesto recipe you will ever find. 7 super-basic ingredients: Fresh basil, fresh spinach, pine nuts (you could sub walnuts for the pine nuts) grated Parmesan cheese, fresh garlic, salt, and olive oil.
5 minutes is all the time you’ll need to make this pesto. ‘Heck the longest part is probably just getting out all the ingredients! Grab all your ingredients (except the olive oil!) and place them in your food processor.
Then pulse, pulse, pulse all the ingredients in your food processor while drizzling the olive oil in until pesto is smooth. (you may have to scrape down the sides once or twice)
‘Voila! 5 minutes later you have a gorgeous bright green pesto that puts any store-bought pesto to shame. I mean, who could resist these beautiful bright colors??
Pesto brightens up any day right?
Spinach Basil Pesto
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Place basil, spinach, pine nuts, Parmesan, garlic, and salt in a food processor. Process mixture, while slowly drizzling olive oil through top. Pulse pesto until smooth and creamy. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
Check out my other fresh and colorful recipes!