Perfectly gooey and cheesy, this smoky-flavored mac ‘n’ cheese is guaranteed to please even the pickiest eaters! Feel free to use your favorite kinds of cheese in this versatile 30-minute recipe.
This macaroni and cheese was updated in October 2014 with new photos.
It’s high time I revealed to you guys my idea of a perfect heaven —>
And that is Smoked White Cheddar Mac ‘n’ Cheese.
The downfall to any previous diet ANYONE had going on. Oh, who are we kidding. M&C is total health food.
Pinky promise. 😀
My ridiculous love for this homemade mac has gotten so bad recently, I’ve had to force myself NOT to make it at least twice a week.
I’ve just settled for Mac ‘n Cheese Monday. (pretty much the only reason I look forward to Mondays)
I’ve got literally a TON of favorite kinds of macaroni and cheese that I make frequently, but today’s recipe? It is my #1 favorite. SMOKED CHEDDAR!!! It gets me every time. 😀
And lots of crumb topping on top. It pulls you in with both hands. It screams, COME TO ME! Eat me!
And eat it I must. All of it.
This mac is one of those dinner recipes that you’re going to find yourself coming back to again and again. It whips up in only 30 and goes perfectly with just about any meat. (I like to serve it with oven-baked chicken nuggets)
Don’t like smoked cheddar cheese? (you’re weird) No problem! Feel free to sub in your favorite cheese. I’ve used pepper jack, mozzarella, cheddar, AND swiss cheeses in this mac before and came out with excellent results.
I’ll be honest and say that this mac is most definitely not the most low-cal thing you could ever eat, but hey! It’s M&C and it’s supposed to be a little indulgent.
And everyone needs to live a little so let’s leave it at that. 🙂
This mac is so cheesy and so gooey, you’ll wonder why you EVER bothered to make mac-n-cheese-from-a-box.
HOMEMADE guys! It’s worth an extra 30 minutes.
All this gooey cheese goodness kinda speaks for itself. 😀
If I were you, it would probably be a good idea NOT to expect any leftovers. You’re just setting yourself up for disappointment.
This stuff is good. Like, really good. And my entire family concurs.
I guarantee you’ll want to lick your plate. Just be sure you do it in private so your family doesn’t give you judgy looks (yes, I’m speaking from experience)
Smoked White Cheddar Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 16 oz box whole wheat elbow pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk I used skim
- 1/2 heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 cups shredded smoked white cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cook pasta according to package directions then place cooked pasta in a 9x14 baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter than whisk in flour until smooth. Add milk and cream, a little at a time, whisking constantly until smooth. Stir over medium-high heat until sauce is slightly thickened. Remove from heat, and whisk in mustard and cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir until pasta is coated with sauce. Sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs. Bake macaroni and cheese at 375F 20 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes, then serve.
Recipe adapted from Pioneer Woman.
Try my other quick weeknight meals next!