This classic zucchini bread features an incredibly soft and moist interior with lots of sweet orange cream cheese glaze drizzled on top.
You can’t beat a good slice of traditional zucchini bread! Traditional plus a pretty dang amazing orange cream cheese glaze, of course.
When zucchini season hits and you suddenly find yourself overrun with garden zucchini that needs to be used, this zucchini bread is going to be the first recipe you turn to!
It’s got all the zucchini bread essentials which means it’s quick to whip up, the interior is supremely soft and moist, it’s studded with toasty nuts, and we’ve got an orange-scented cream cheese glaze coming in and kicking everything up a level.
It’s also one of those recipes that’s so easy to double or triple so you can have loaves in the freezer for whenever that zucc bread craving hits!
Spoiler alert: it’s going to happen a lot.
This Zucchini Bread features…
- A soft and moist texture
- Toasted walnuts and just a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg
- Creamy and perfectly tangy orange cream cheese glaze
- Minutes to whip up and lots of make ahead options
Making the Zucchini Bread
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Greek yogurt
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Orange zest
- 2% or skim milk
Tips for Perfect Zucchini Bread
- Shred zucchini on large box holes of grater – you will need about 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini which is about 1 medium zucchini.
- Measure flour correctly – we use the spoon-and-level technique for measuring flour as this will prevent over-measuring your flour. Use a spoon to scoop flour into the measuring cup, then level with the back of a knife.
- Gently fold batter – use a light hand when mixing batter and gently fold so as not to overmix.
- Toast nuts – if you choose to use nuts in this bread, take the extra few minutes to toast them on the stovetop until fragrant. This gives them much better flavor and texture.
- Bake bread in parchment paper-lined pan – this makes it much easier (and mess-free) to remove bread from pan.
- Test bread with toothpick – your bread is done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool bread completely before glazing– don’t rush this process – you want the bread completely cooled before topping with the glaze otherwise it will all melt off.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this zucchini bread.
- Add mix-ins – we like using nuts as a mix-in, but feel free to add other mix-ins such as semisweet chocolate chips, dried cranberries, fresh blueberries, etc.
- Use a different citrus – try grated lime or lemon zest in place of the orange zest in the glaze.
- Make it in muffin form – fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter and bake at 350F 18-20 minutes until muffins are puffy and golden brown.
Storing and Freezing Bread
This bread stores well up to 3 days on the counter in an airtight container. We do not recommend glazing bread until you are ready to serve it since the glaze has dairy in it and requires refrigeration.
The glaze can also be made ahead of time and stored in refrigerator up to 6 days.
To freeze bread, allow bread to cool completely, wrap well, and freeze up to 2 months. When ready to serve, thaw bread and top with glaze per recipe instructions.
There’s just no going wrong with this zucchini bread. It’s SO incredibly soft, moist, perfectly spiced, and the tangy cream cheese glaze takes it entirely over the top.
You’ll never make any other recipe!
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More quick breads to add to your baking list!
Classic Zucchini Bread with Orange Cream Cheese Glaze
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
Orange Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2-1 tablespoon 2% or skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugars, oil, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Fold flour mixture into liquid until just combined, then fold in zucchini and walnuts if using.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake zucchini bread at 350F 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool bread completely in pan on a wire cooling rack.
Orange Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a medium bowl with a handheld electric mixer, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until creamy. Beat in orange zest and just enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency.
- Remove bread from pan and drizzle cream cheese glaze over top. Slice bread and enjoy!
This post was updated with new recipe tips and photos on 7/11/23.