Hey, guys! I am SUPER excited to introduce you to one of closest blogging friends who’s going to be guest-posting for me today to celebrate Apple Week on my blog!
Give a warm welcome to the talented Isabelle from She Likes Food.— Take it away, Izzy!
Thank you so much to Sarah for inviting me here to share an apple themed recipe with your readers today!
I probably shouldn’t admit this, and please don’t hate me for saying this, but when I was younger I hated apple desserts. I know, it is kind of crazy, but I did. I loved eating raw apples, but there was something I just couldn’t get on board with when it came to cooked apples.
Unfortunately for me, my sister and my mom both loved apples desserts. Apple pie and apple crisp were two of my mom’s favorite recipes to make and my sister would request them all the time. I didn’t despise them enough that I wouldn’t eat them, because, hello, it was a dessert after all and I wasn’t completely stupid! But I would usually just eat the buttery, crispy topping off the crisp and leave the apples behind. And when it came to apple pie I would find the piece with the least filling and the most crust and load on the vanilla ice cream so that the ice cream to pie ratio was about 10:1.
That being said, you may wonder why the heck I am sharing an apple recipe today. Well, thankfully over the years I have come to love apple desserts! But, true to my younger tastes, I do still love eating them with lots of ice cream or some type of sweet creamy topping.
Before Sarah asked me to share an apple recipe with you, I had been kicking around some type of flavored cream cheese recipe in my head. After I agreed, I started thinking of all the apple recipes I could make, really there are like millions, but I finally decided on an apple pie flavored cream cheese. If you are anything like me, you love flavored cream cheese and eat more of it straight out of the tub with a spoon than actually ends up on your bagel. For that reason, I don’t buy it very often, but I thought this apple pie cream cheese would be a nice treat and it would help get me in the mood for fall weather, that I keep telling myself will eventually come my way!
This apple pie cream cheese gives you the excuse to have apple pie flavors for breakfast and you don’t even need to feel guilty about it 🙂 Thanks again, Sarah, for having me!
Apple Pie Cream Cheese
- 2 - 8 ounce packages of cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 2 whole apples peeled and small diced. I used Fuji apples, but you could use whatever kind you like
- 2 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 small pinch of grated nutmeg optional
- 1 small pinch of ground ginger optional
- 1 small pinch of salt
- Bagels for spreading cream cheese on if desired
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a baking dish, add the chopped apples and all the spices. Mix so that all apple are coated. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, until apples are tender.
- 2. Let apples cool for 15 minutes. Place apples into a food processor and mix for about 20 seconds, scraping down the sides if needed.
- 3. In a large bowl, add both packages of cream cheese and apple mixture. Mix cream cheese and apples together using an electric mixture until combined. Enjoy on a toasted bagel or with a spoon!