This cozy french toast is the best way to use up that leftover eggnog! A warm cranberry-apple syrup pairs perfectly atop a tall stack for a heartwarming winter breakfast!
This right here is called the BEST Post-Holiday breakfast in the universe.
I mean, obviously you need to find something to do with all that leftover eggnog sitting in the fridge that’s probably tempting you. And I am more than happy to assist by making us ALL french toast.
In case you missed that → WHO’S COMING OVER?! I made us all breakfast! With eggnog. Because what’s a breakfast party in December without eggnog?!
Disclaimer: I’m addicted to the ‘nog. Eggnog ALL things. At least until New Years Day and theeeen it’s time to start cranking out the salads like nobody’s business..
Big Confession: I like eggnog better than salads.
I KNOW RIGHT?!!!! I’m sorry, Mr. Romaine….it’s just….you never stood a chance against my lovely friend the ‘nog.
And I don’t even want to count the number of times I just said “eggnog” up there. Yeesh…
Anyway. I’m gonna stop talking to all the imaginary salads out there and start shoving french toast in your face. (read: insane photo overload coming your way)
Friends, I am officially obsessed…..with adding eggnog to my french toast. I mean, can you say WIN?!! Why have I not been doing this all my life?! It instantly transforms those plain little day-old bread slices into rich, moist and tops’ french toast.
And each perfect slice literally tastes like it took a nice long soak in a glass of eggnog. Gahhhh….!!
And obviously, I couldn’t leave well enough alone even there….I took the extra step and made a homemade syrup.
Yes, I was pretty proud of my domestic-self. Even more prouder of the fact that said syrup contained cranberries! And apples! Fruit is my friend, the END.
Oh. My. I’m going swimming.
Let’s just say that roughly about 57% of said syrup did not end up making it onto the french toast.
But I’ll just say this: What little of the syrup that DID make it onto my french toast kinda transformed my already-perfect eggnog french toast into the BREAKFAST OF MY DREAMS. (!!!)
Sorry for screaming, but I just have no control when it comes to this stuff: The syrup was hot and gooey…the french toast turned out perfectly moist and exploding with zee ‘nog flavors….Could you EVER go wrong?
Plus….well, the whole gorgeous stack is just so dang pretty. I like pretty food don’t you? ♥
So how does a big ‘ol stack of french toast sound to you on this lovely Friday?
C’mon over. I’m cooking. 🙂
Eggnog French Toast with Cranberry-Apple Syrup
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups eggnog
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 14 slices day-old bread
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch whisked with 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large apples peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Prepare the french toast: Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until smooth. Beat in eggnog and pumpkin pie spice. Working in batches, dip bread slices in egg mixture, coating both sides. Cook french toast in preheated skillet 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer to a serving plate and keep warm.
- Prepare the syrup: In a medium skillet over medium heat, whisk sugar, butter, cornstarch/water mixture, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, then add apples and cranberries. Stir over medium heat until fruit is tender and sauce is slightly thickened.
- Serve french toast warm with hot syrup.
P.S. Sorry for the insane number of photos. Clearly, I am a little more than obsessed. 🙂