Unbelievably soft and chewy and loaded with a double-delight of browned butter and peanut butter, these addicting sugar-coated cookies will be requested again and again!
Double the butter, double the level of cookie insanity.
All. The. Yes.
Most likely double the calories, but we don’t care.
And if you do care….well, leave now before the gravitational addicting pull of these cookies sucks you in.
Oh, you’re still here? Great. That means you guys are SMART people! I knew there was a reason I liked you.
So. Say ‘yo to your diet’s new worst enemy. These cookies….my GOSH, you guys!
Yeah, sorry I can’t really talk at the moment because at the moment, my mouth is full of cookies and my momma always told me it was rude to talk with your mouth full.
munch, munch, gulp, gulp.
Okay, I’m ready to talk now. Shall we proceed?
These cookies are kinda pulling all the words from my head, mostly because I’m still trying to wrap my brain around their awesomeness.
Just to recap all the wonderful cookie goodness we’ve got going on here today let us discuss my favorite parts.
Say hi to the….
- Browned butter (!!!)
- Peanut butter (double !!!)
- Crackly, sugar-y texture on the outside
- Ultra-soft and chewy texture on the inside
These cookies kind of startle my heart in a pretty fabulous way.
They satisfy my tastebuds in hands-down the BEST way.
Ready or not, I’m ready to take ALL of these cookies on.
So browned butter 101: Trust me, it’s NOT hard to brown your own butter, guys and your tastebuds will give you a big ‘ol hug for taking the 5 minutes to do that.
Your waistline will probably give you a big ‘ol slap, but you can slap ’em back by eating more of these cookies.
A just revenge. MUAH!
To brown your butter, grab 1/2 cup butter and place it in a small saucepan. I prefer to use salted butter, just because I love the flavor it gives these cookies, but unsalted would definitely work too.
Turn that heat up to medium-high and gently swirl the butter around a few times until it’s melted. Then continue the swirling-process a few more minutes until the butter has turned a deep golden brown and you’re more-or-less drooling all over the floor.
So gosh-darn good, guys. And it really does make these cookies nearly EVERYTHING that they are flavorwise.
The peanut butter helps out with the rest of the job. I mean, peanut butter will make pretty much anything fabulous so his job is pretty easy right there.
And seriously, c’mon. Peanut butter + browned butter = A butter-lover’s PARADISE.
Before baking these cookies, be sure to roll ’em around in a hearty coating of sugar. It gives the outside a fantastic-ly sweet crunchy texture, while the outside stays all warm, soft and ultra-chewy.
The criss-cross indention on top of these cookies is totally up to you, but I couldn’t really imagine peanut butter cookies without a criss-cross. My mom has always always made peanut butter cookies that way and that’s the only way I’ll make them too. If you choose not to do the criss-cross, you’ll need to flatten the cookies just slightly before baking.
Speaking of which…be extra-careful not to overbake these cookies. An overbaked peanut butter cookie = Crumbly desert-dry which = Legit tears on my end.
The edges of these cookies should just start to turn golden when they’re done, but the middles will still appear very soft. This is A-okay. 🙂
Now here’s what you must do while these cookies cool for a few minutes. Run upstairs and put on those stretchy pants then run back down to the kitchen to pour yourself that extra-tall glass of milk.
Then grab all these cookies and go to double-butter cookie town.
And fall into a browned butter peanut butter sugar cookie-comatose.♥
Browned Butter Peanut Butter Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup additional coconut sugar for rolling
- Place butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until butter is browned and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Place slightly-cooled browned butter in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and add sugar. Beat on medium speed until combined. Add egg, yolk, peanut butter, vanilla, and yogurt to mixer and mix on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to liquid mixture and mix until a dough forms.
- Roll cookie dough into 1-in balls and then gently roll around in additional sugar. Place 1-in apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Using a fork, gently press a criss-cross in each ball, flattening them slightly.
- Bake cookies at 350F 9 minutes or until edges just start to turn golden (middles will still seem very soft---this ok) Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy IMMEDIATELY!
I’m freaking here, guys. Self control = Gone.
Mind = Completely blown away by cookies.
Today’s cookies are part of the Monthly Recipe Challenge I participate in with a bunch of other talented bloggers. The featured ingredient this month was peanut butter so be sure to check out their awesome recipes below!