All the best Caribbean flavors collide with cozy comfort food in these slow-cooked chicken tacos that are loaded with tender sweet ‘n ‘spicy chicken and lots of fresh pineapple slaw.
Hi. I’m in love with these tacos.
Obsessing over all the slow-cooked jerk-y chicken-goodness. Crushing big-time on the overload of pretty tropical slaw.♥
Just get in my belly already. Puh-leeeeeze…
So I’m just wondering. Is it wrong of me to post a fantab-ulously awesome crockpot recipe even though it’s technically spring? Things are still pretty brrrrrrr around here so I’m totally on board with all things crockpot and cozy through the end of March. And I kinda don’t care that these things are now technically outlawed until next fall.
I don’t follow the rules here, guys. The rebel in me is still screaming, BRING ON THE COZY CROCKPOT GOODNESS.
Another part of that rebel is shouting HAPPY TACO THURSDAY!
Wait, is that just a Tuesday thing? Um, no. Tacos are a 24/7 kinda deal.
Listen to the rebel inside of you and you will always have a glorious taco-filled life. Live a little and break the rules of the taco regiment. ♥
And that right there is my wise piece of advice for the day. That one was a freebie, but next time I’ll need 5 cookies upfront as payment.
Forget all that was said up there. You probably couldn’t even pay me with a lifetime supply of cookies to get me shut up.
Okay, let’s talk taco. My favooooorite language without a doubt.
First things first: The chicken. Hooooly moly, you guys. The amount of flavor packed into this chicken is kinda unbelievable. It’s sweet with just a hint of citrus, yet slightly-spicy at the same time. Plus it is SO fall-apart tender and juicy from cooking low ‘n ‘slow in the crockpot for a few long hours.
You’re really, really going to love it. You might just want to eat it straight out of the crockpot. I won’t judge you at all.
But me? I’m gonna take things one step further and throw some tropical pineapple slaw into the mix. This slaw is seriously SO simple, yet combined with the juicy shredded chicken in a big ‘ol tortilla it elevates the punch of flavors to about a 10/10.
Plus uh, pineapple. I’m convinced it can do no wrong this time of year.
I do believe the absolute best of comfort food just collided with all the ultra-fresh Caribbean flavors in the world.
And thus, a beautiful, gorgeous, STUNNING taco was born. And then devoured. The end.
Grab those sombreros, guys! It’s taco time.
Slow-Cooked Jerk Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Slaw
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup fresh pineapple finely diced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Warmed tortillas for serving
- Prepare the chicken: In a small bowl, whisk first 12 chicken ingredients until smooth. Place chicken in a 3-qt slow-cooker and pour sauce over top. Cook chicken on low 3-4 hours or until chicken registers 160F degrees.
- Place hot chicken on a cutting board and use 2 forks to gently shred chicken. Transfer shredded chicken back to slow-cooker to keep warm. Set aside.
- Prepare the salsa: In a medium bowl, combine all salsa ingredients until combined.
- Assemble the tacos: Fill warmed tortillas with shredded chicken and top with pineapple slaw. Serve immediately.
Taco Thursday. You can’t go wrong. ♥