Packed with pumpkin ‘n’ spices, unbelievably soft inside, and covered with a luscious glaze, these easy cake bars are the perfect way to welcome fall!
I’m not holding back anymore, people. Today is September 1st and in my pumpkin-obsessed mind, that is pretty much just automatic code for Pumpkin All The Things.
I’ve been counting down the hours, the minutes, the seconds, and the milliseconds all summer….
And now here we are: another pumpkin season is upon us. Another meeting of Pumpkin Lovers Anonymous has come to order. Glorious orange-filled days stretch ahead.
P.S. I realize that not all of us around here are pumpkin enthusiasts. If you’re not Team Pumpkin, I’d hazard to guess that you probably won’t like me very much for the next 3-ish months.
This past weekend alone I tested FIVE new pumpkin recipes. I was in my prime, guys. My HAPPY pumpkin place. 😉
MOVING ON. To the real reason we’re all gathered here in our cozy little pumpkin corner today. These bars. Yeah, yeah I know….MORE bars I’m shoving in your face. The thing is though, guys that THESE are not snack bars like the last two. We’re just about as close to dessert or dessert-for-breakfast today, as we’re gonna get.
Don’t get me wrong, these totally qualify for snacktime or even breakfast if you’re feeling like a rebel today. I’ve just only experienced them as dessert.
Maybe I should consider expanding my Glazed Pumpkin Spice Cake Bar horizons? I just got a brilliant idea that these bars + a pumpkin spice latte = Sarah Bliss.
Sidenote: WHO ELSE is totally pumped that Starbucks says that they’re actually gonna start putting REAL pumpkin in their PSLs now?? I mean, I LIVE
on for those lattes come September, guys. Gimme that real stuff!
Okay, so these bars are pretty much the simple of the simple. I knoooow that September days are pretty crazy for most people, and I’m right there with ‘ya. With that in mind, I made these bars ultra-easy. Only a little more than 30 minutes from start to finish. Yeaaaa!
The batter mixes up in less than 5 minutes flat. 30-ish minutes in the oven, whip up your glaze, dump glaze over bars, cut bars and stuff your face, ect…
That last step is clearly the most crucial part, friends. 😉
I know we all love this word, so I’ll say it: Moist. These bars are moist, moist, MOIST! So sink-your-teeth-in ultra-soft and pumpkin-y. Perfectly spiced and covered in glaze. They kinda taste like all my fall dreams wrapped up in one bar. ♥
I mean, it’s obvious that you’re gonna end up eating the entire pan.
Toasty chopped pecans sprinkled on top are optional, but not really if you know what I mean…
You + these bars + a hot cup of coffee I think is just a master plan for this unofficially-fall Tuesday.
Who’s with me?? 😉
Glazed Pumpkin Spice Cake Bars
Packed with pumpkin 'n' spices, unbelievably soft inside, and covered with a luscious glaze, these easy cake bars are the perfect way to welcome fall!
Servings 1 dozen bars
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Toasted chopped pecans for garnishing optional
- Make the bars: Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-in square baking pan with tin foil and lightly grease. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk pumpkin, sugar, oil, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla until smooth. In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gently fold flour mixture into liquid until just combined. Evenly spread batter into prepared pan and smooth top with a spatula.
- Bake bars at 350F 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool bars completely in pan on a wire cooling rack.
- Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and just enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency.
- Once bars are cooled, pour glaze over top and gently spread over bars. Allow icing to set 10 minutes, then slice bars into squares and serve.
Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
Tried this recipe?Leave a comment and rating below. Feel free to share a picture on Instagram and tag @wholeandheavenlyoven or hashtag it #wholeandheavenlyoven
More pumpkin goodies? Let’s just say I’ve gotcha’ covered. 😉
Leave a Reply