Exploding with gooey cheese and pepperoni slices, these crowd-pleasing soft pretzels are guaranteed to disappear the second you put them out!
Carbs stuffed into carbs. With cheese piled upon cheese. Guys, Monday fare is SERVED.
With a side of awesome, clearly.
Sidenote: I’m in Florida y’all! It’s warm and sunny and I kinda love having the ocean only a few steps away! Also…not gonna lie, the drive down was sorta brutal and beyond long, so I’m designating today kick-back-and-CHILL Monday.
The lawn chair and shades has my name written all over it. Bring it!
Last but not least, these pretzels. The MOTHER-LOAD of all soft pretzels known to mankind. Kinda the main reason you’re hanging with me today. 😉 Did the brain-boggling title reel you in?
So yeah, friends. I completely lost my mind a few weeks ago and decided that it would probably be the best idea EVER to stuff all the ‘makin’s of an extra-cheesy pepperoni pizza inside a soft pretzel.
Let it be known that ANY idea involving pizza is going to be a very successful one. Case in PRETZEL —>
Success to a T. The world now knows the answer for making game-day DELISH-day! Skip the pizza delivery, keep on walking past the soft pretzels in the bakery section, sprint home to the kitchen and jam ’em BOTH into one awesome appy. ♥
Speaking of which, my family? Totally lost all control around these pretzels. I mean, there was an actual feeding frenzy the second I put them out and continued until nary a crumb remained.
Okay, they actually did leave me a FEW crumbs I think just to show their appreciation. I was obviously touched by this generous gesture.
I dare you to not dive face-first into the pan the second these come out of the oven. While they bake, some of the cheese bubbles up out of the pretzel and forms epic mini cheese explosions.
Meanwhile, the inside is full of even MORE gooey cheese, pepperoni slices, and chewy pretzel dough…
Gaaaaah! Please hooooold me!
And really, at this point nothing is gonna stop you from demolishing ‘dat awesomeness.
Except maaaaaybe the prospect of dipping said soft pretzel perf-ec-tion in warm marinara sauce.
A TRUE pizza experience, guys. I highly recommend it. 😉
Actually, I just highly recommend these pretzels to anyone, but especially on a Monday.
Say hi to your newest lover. You’re meant to be together forever. ♥
Pizza-Stuffed Homemade Soft Pretzels
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water 110F
- 1 cup warm milk 110F
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 2 oz package pepperoni, slices cut in half
- 6 cups water
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- Warm marinara sauce for dipping
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add milk, sugar, and salt to mixture, stirring until smooth. Stir in flour until a smooth dough begins to form (if dough seems too sticky, add additional flour by the tablespoon until it comes together)
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead a few times until dough is cohesive and elastic. Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Allow dough to rise 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Punch risen dough down and divide into 8-10 uniform pieces. Using your hands, roll dough into 16-in ropes and place on a floured surface.
- Gently flatten each rope out to 1-2 in width. Sprinkle cheese evenly over 1/3 of each dough rope, facing it closest to you. Arrange pepperoni over cheese. Gently and very tightly roll filled dough ropes up along the long side back into ropes. Pinch edges to seal.
- Shape dough ropes into a pretzel shape by making a loop and then twisting ends and bringing up into the loop. Pinch edges to adhere them to the pretzel loop.
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Working two at a time, carefully place pretzels into boiling water, boil about 15-20 seconds then flip to opposite side for an additional 15-20 seconds. Remove pretzels from water and transfer to prepared baking sheets. Repeat boiling process with remaining pretzels.
- Once all pretzels are boiled, bake pretzels at 400F 10 minutes or until a deep golden brown and cheesy is gooey. Remove from oven and allow pretzels to cool a few minutes on a wire cooling rack. Enjoy warm with lots of warm marinara sauce for dipping!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag your photo #wholeandheavenlyoven on Instagram. And follow me so we can be friends! ♥