Smoky grilled red potatoes, crisp bacon bits, and a flavorful basil vinaigrette make the ultimate summertime potato salad that’s a perfect lighter alternative to mayonnaise-dressed salads!
Let it be known from now until the end of time that there is nothing I won’t put on the grill.
Case in point. —> I grilled my potato salad, guys. I GRILLED it. And I most definitely didn’t regret that decision.
Because then bacon joined our wild salad party. Along with super-fresh basil dressing. And I mean FRESH. All five of my basil plants are currently in supersonic production mode and so I have no choice but to put basil in everything.
Okay, let’s move onto the confession portion of this post.
To be totally honest here, guys, I’m not potato salad’s hugest fan mainly because of all the mayo. I’m like the only one in my family that isn’t a mayo kind of person, and yep they think I’m the weirdest because I LIVE for lighter dressings like vinaigrettes, pestos, and herb sauces.
Especially pesto, but I’m sure you knew that.
Pesto isn’t our spotlight today, though. (whaaaat? shocker!!) Maybe another day I’ll throw it in my potato salad, but today we do simple. And basil vinaigrette + crispy bacon + smoky grilled potato wedges = SIMPLE. I promise.
Let us begin with the fact that I’m completely head-over-heels for the beautiful charred exteriors of the red potatoes. So much so that I should probably be grilling ALL my potatoes from here on out.
Then we go heavy on the dressing. And even heavier on the bacon.
Shortly thereafter…heavy on the faceplants and so many heart eyes. ???
Grilled Red Potato Salad with Bacon Basil Dressing
- 1-1/2 lbs red potatoes quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 4 strips bacon cooked and finely diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place quartered potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring potatoes to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and let potatoes simmer 10-15 minutes until just slightly tender, yet slightly firm. Drain potatoes and let cool slightly. Once cooled, lightly brush olive oil over potatoes.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Place potatoes on tin foil and grill 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally until potatoes are slightly charred and tender when poked with a fork. Remove potatoes from grill and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, mustard, and agave until smooth. Stir in basil, cooked bacon, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour dressing over grilled potatoes and gently toss to coat. Chill salad until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Need more summer SALAD in your life? Try these.
Greek-Style Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
Bursting Tomato Cauliflower Rice Caprese Salad
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
I love the idea of a grilled potato salad, Sarah! So perfect for the summer! And I especially love that bacon basil dressing. I’m not a fan of miracle whip in salads, so this was made for me!
Thanks Gayle! It’s such a nice alternative to the usual heavy summer salads!!
Kelly // The Pretty Bee says
Oh wow, how delicious is this?!? Those grill marks make it look extra delish!
Thanks Kelly!! Anything with grill marks wins!
Melanie @ Gather for Bread says
That dressing sounds amazing. I definitely need to try that before the summer is over!
It’s seriously so good, Melanie!!
Grilled potatoes are my favorite!! I love the bacon in the dressing!! YES!
Thanks Annie!! xoxo
Sherri@The Well Floured Kitchen says
I agree, I love all kinds of potatoes, except with mayo. This looks amazing- and it definitely my kind of potato salad! The bacon and basil combo is spot on! Love those grill marks!
This is totally your kinda potato salad, Sherri!!
Jen | Baked by an Introvert says
Grilled potato salad sounds phenomenal! Bacon and basil dressing take this one right over the top!
Thanks Jen!! xoxo
OMG girl this is my kind of potato salad!!! Looks so good and love grilled potatoes!!
Thanks Ami!! This one sounds right up your alley!
Puja Darshan says
Oh my gosh! Those looks dangerously delicious! Loved your recipe Sarah 🙂
Thank you Puja!!
I made this potato salad for our July 4th party, it was delicious and everyone loved it.
So glad to hear that this potato salad was a hit, Gail! Thanks for letting me know!