These cherry-loaded chocolate chip scones are SO flaky and tender you would never guess they use coconut oil instead of butter!—Summer baking at it’s finest!
Oh man, bring ON Monday and all the scones she’s bringing with her.
It’s clearly going to be a fabulous day. And I’m clearly enjoying annoying the heck out of you right now with my large amounts of Monday optimism.
Sorry, I blame it on the scones. ↓↓
Question for y’all. Are cherries out of summer style yet? Are we too far into August? Actually don’t even answer that because as long as I can still find multiple bags of them at the grocery store they are still considered cool kid summer food.
That kind of summer food that I eat by itself and then I put it in ALL the things. I’m lookin’ at you, coconut oil cherry chocolate chip scones.
Okay, so let’s get into it. These scones. They are clearly everything. Just about literally eve-ry-thing.
We start off with my basic scone flour base which is flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
Theeeeeen things starting getting interesting. Cold cubed coconut oil makes a direct sub for the usual copious amounts of butter found in scones and trust me, y’all. You will NEVER even notice the difference. If anything, you’ll love coconut oil scones even more than the regular butter-laden ones. These are so so so so SO flaky I wanna cry.
A little greek yogurt, an egg, half-and-half, and vanilla get mixed into our dough…then it’s choc/cherry time. Pile it on heavy and don’t hold back.
One of the trademarks of good scones is a crusty outside and a soft tender inside. The way we do this is a short baking time at a very high oven temperature. 10-12 minutes at 425F should do the trick.
Have I mentioned you are going to DIE over these warm from the oven? They show no scone mercy.
These chocolate chip scones are DRE-AMY, you guys. I mean it, these are like the kind of scones you would expect to find floating on a cloud up in heaven.
That might have been where I found them actually.
Monday scone heaven, y’all. You know your duty.
Coconut Oil Cherry Chocolate Chip Scones
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold coconut oil finely chopped
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh cherries pitted and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in coconut oil with a pastry cutter or a fork until mixture is crumbly. Mix in greek yogurt, egg, cream, and vanilla until mixture forms a shaggy dough. Gently mix in cherries and chocolate chips.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead a few times until dough comes together. Pat dough into an 8-in round circle. Using a sharp knife, cut circle into 8 wedges. Place wedges 1-in apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake scones at 425F 10-12 minutes or until scones are golden-brown. Cool scones on a cooling rack a few minutes then enjoy warm.
Care to go to scone town with me??