Take that weeknight mac ‘n’ cheese up a notch! This skillet mac ‘n’ cheese is smothered in a flavorful roasted red pepper cheese sauce and loaded with tons of sliced sausage.
It’s easy-peasy dinner season, you guys! And mac ‘n’ cheese is officially here and ready to play it’s very important part.
That part would involve being covered in roasted red pepper cheese sauce, loaded up with sausage, and packed into your heavy duty-est skillet.
Hope you brought your heavy duty-est mac ‘n’ cheese appetite today, guys.
Also advisable that you left those diets at home where they belong. This mac plays no games.
Okay, so I’ll be brutally honest here and admit that this mac is NOT your average mac-outta-a-box. It’s a leeeeeeeettle on the gourmet/fancy-schmancy side of things, but don’t let that scare you away.—it’s about as EASY as any skillet dinner could get. It’s pretty darn tasty too if that counts for anything.
The sauce is your basic run-of-the-mill mac ‘n’ cheese sauce, only we’re taking things up an extremely delish notch. —-> Observe.
Pureed roasted red peppers get whisked into this beautiful mess, sausage gets thrown in, pasta joins the party and the skillet mac ‘n’ cheese angels are officially a’singing.
And I’m over here face-diving into the skillet which is all mine, but I’m sure you already assumed that.
Post-long-weekend crushed spirit, be gone. Skillet mac ‘n’ cheese doing it’s job over here pretty well.
Extremely well. See ya.
Roasted Red Pepper Sausage Skillet Mac 'n' Cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, pureed in food processor until smooth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz cooked rotini pasta
- 4 chicken sausages sliced thin
- Minced fresh basil for topping
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter then whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly until smooth. Whisk in half-and-half, pureed roasted red peppers, and mustard. Bring sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat until bubbly and slightly thickened.
- Remove sauce from heat and whisk in cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cooked pasta and chicken sausage slices. Return mac 'n' cheese to medium heat and stir occasionally until heated through. Garnish mac 'n' cheese with fresh basil and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Let’s go to mac ‘n’ cheese town, guys. —>