My mom’s family recipe for cornbread stuffing is a quintessential side dish on our Thanksgiving table and you’ll soon see why it’s the best ever! It will quickly become a new holiday tradition in your family.
It is SO freaking time already that I share with y’all the numero uno reason I look forward to Thanksgiving every year.
Hint: the bird is great and all but that’s not the best part. ^^^ the best part is obviously the sides. And if I had to narrow it down to the absolute best side, I would be picking my mom’s cornbread stuffing Every.Time.
And I do. Every time. Judging from the fact that my plate at Thanksgiving table is about 85% cornbread stuffing and 15% miscellaneous-less-important-Thanksgiving-food.
Sorry not sorry to anyone else who might have wanted some stuffing.
In related news…who else is totally freaking out that Thanksgiving is only three days away?? My to-do lists annoyingly keep growing longer and longer and interestingly my coffee cups keep getting larger and larger.
Clearly just a coinky-dink. ^^^
But let’s talk about the ONE thing that’s gonna make or break your Thanksgiving. It’s obviously not the turkey, because I’ve made it well known that I think the turkey is overrated and the real stars are the side dishes.
The pie too obviously. Not even a question.
But the only way that this stuffing would break your Thanksgiving dinner is if you were to something crazy and like not make it or something.
You really have no excuse not to because as far as stuffing goes, it’s the absolute EASIEST and pretty much impossible to mess up. Did I mention it’s been in my mom’s recipe box for like 20 years now? Moms recipes always always win.
Pretty much all we’re gonna do guys is saute up some onions + celery + garlicky goodness in butter until tender. Throw in a ton of seasonings. Dump the whole thing in a bowl with slightly-dried-out crumbled cornbread, cubed bread, and chicken broth. Psssst….there’s not even any eggs in this stuffing!!
Be aware that the stuffing will be very “goopy” before we bake it if you we’re being honest. This is TOTALLY what we want because this means that while the stuffing bakes it won’t dry out and will be insanely moist.
And obviously insanely amazing and I’m pretty sure I haven’t mentioned that enough times yet.
Pretty sure I need to have another plateful just to make sure.
^^^ Thanksgiving dinner game-changer for reals, guys. ^^^
Mom's Thanksgiving Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups crumbled cornbread
- 2 cups dry cubed bread
- 3 cups chicken broth
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onion, celery, and garlic in butter until just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in seasonings.
- Place crumbled cornbread and bread in a large bowl and stir in onion mixture. Pour chicken broth over top and gently stir until stuffing is evenly moistened.
- Spread stuffing in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake covered at 375F 30-35 minutes then remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes until top is slightly browned. Let stuffing cool 10 minutes then serve warm. Enjoy!