Glazed in a citrus-y sticky orange glaze and ultimately soft and moist inside, these gingerbread muffins are a holiday breakfast must-have!
So I did something, guys. I said see-ya-next-fall to pumpkin season and finally let myself be swept away by gingerbread season.
Also, I made us muffins. Toooooons of sticky orange-glazed gingerbread muffins to celebrate that fact.
I too like my Mondays done the right way and the gingerbread way could possibly be the ONLY way.
Seriously though, I can’t even with these gingerbread muffins. ??
I have the best idea right now, guys. Let’s ignore Monday and just bake and devour muffins today, shall we? I honestly think it’s just for the best. I’ll brew the coffee and we’ll pretend Mondays ain’t no thing.
I can honestly tell you that these muffins are seriously close to my idea of perfect. They’re SO uber-uber moist, soft, perfectly-spiced, and have that perfect balance of gingery-ness and molasses-y flavor going on too.
One little trick I discovered for making these muffins extra-extra moist is to brush them with the orange simple syrup glaze while they’re still warm.
The muffins will soak up all of the syrupy orange goodness as they cool and you’ll probably eat them all right then and there.
And if for some weird reason you don’t…send ’em on over my way, please and thanks. I’m more than happy to do my part for the cause of Gingerbread Season. ??
Seriously though…eating all of these in 3..2..1.. and it’d be awesome if you guys could do the same.
You know…for the sake of gingerbread season.
Eat a gingerbread muffin and save the world is the gist of it.
Sticky Orange Gingerbread Muffins
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Set aside.
- Make the muffins: In a large bowl, beat sugar, molasses, oil, eggs, yogurt, milk, vanilla, and orange zest until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Fold flour mixture into liquid until batter is just combined.
- Fill prepared muffin tin 3/4 full of batter. Bake muffins at 425F 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375F and continue baking 13-15 additional minutes until muffins spring back when lightly touched. Cool muffins in pan 10 minutes, then remove to a wire cooling rack.
- Make the glaze: In a small saucepan, bring glaze ingredients to a boil until sugar is dissolved. Generously brush warm glaze over muffins. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
I’m totally on board with ignoring Monday and eating ALL the muffins, especially if it involves these cuties! What a great idea, Sarah! I love the orange gingerbread combo! Sounds so good, especially with that sticky sauce!
Bethany @ Athletic Avocado says
YASSS to gingerbread season! These muffins look so incredibly amazing! The combo of gingerbread + sticky orange glaze is genius! You always make my monday’s better! 🙂
Rachel @ Bakerita says
Three cheers for gingerbread season! These muffins look SO good – orange always pairs so well with gingerbread flavors, and that sticky glaze looks irresistible. Love these so much!
Sarah these look like my kind of breakfast!! I am loving that sticky glaze and I can easily eat few of these with my coffee! YUM!!
Ashley - The Recipe Rebel says
Yes to all the gingerbread and peppermint! These look AMAZING Sarah! That glaze totally takes these to the next level 🙂