You won’t believe that these decadent chocolate cupcakes are completely flourless and only 152 calories each! They’re simple to throw together and a fudge glaze takes them over the top.
A guiltless flourless chocolate cupcake for your holiday weekend partying pleasure, you guys!!
And on that same topic, 2016 pretty much went by like a blur. It went by like *snaps fingers*. Also, I’m just now realizing I turn 20 in only a week. GAH!! Can I just have the cake and forget about the actual getting-a-year-older thing? Kthanks.
Focusing our attention on the flourless chocolate cupcakes matter at hand now…
Here’s my disclosure: chocolate ain’t outlawed until January 1st anyway. And knowing me I’m gonna break that rule pretty much right away anyway so we might as well just start now.
So how are flourless chocolate cupcakes even an achievable thing you might be wondering? The only way I can figure it is that these cupcakes are some kind of food science wizardy. They shouldn’t work but they DO!
The actual cupcake base only has SIX ingredients which includes butter and chocolate all melted together. Whisked with a little sugar, egg yolks, vanilla, and salt. Then, we whip up our egg whites to stiff peaks, fold it all together, and that’s our batter!
A note on the batter though, be EXTREMELY careful to only gently fold. We want to keep the egg whites from losing their volume because this is what helps the cupcakes rise and give them their moist fudgy texture.
We bake the cupcakes at a low temp of 300F and they should spring back when very lightly touched when they’re done. Also note, that while the cupcakes cool they will collapse a little bit but this is totally okay. We’re gonna fill that collapsed center with some good stuff shortly.
A simple fudge filling is the final step and man, it’s the game-changer. It brings our chocolate game up a few hundred notches and honestly, that filling is really, really good by the spoon. <<< barring previous experience.
Last game-changer I’m gonna throw at you, guys. Each little cupcake is only 152 freaking calories and believe me, that is a very, very good thing just because of how many of these you’re going to end up demolishing.
And whatever you don’t demolish….feel free to send on over my way.
Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Fudge Glaze
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 6 large eggs separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 300F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with 20 wrappers. Set aside.
- In a double-boiler over medium heat, melt butter and chocolate together until smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Once cooled, whisk egg yolks and sugar into chocolate and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until egg whites reach stiff peaks. Very gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture, gently folding a few times until batter is just combined.
- Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full of batter. Bake cupcakes at 350F 20-25 minutes or until centers are just set. Cool cupcakes on a wire cooling rack (centers are going to sink a little bit)
- Make the glaze: In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt chocolate and milk until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in salt and vanilla.
- To serve cupcakes, spoon glaze on top of cupcakes. Enjoy!