Healthier turkey chili in chili casserole form with irresistible flaky cheddar biscuits on top. This easy weeknight dinner is ready in only 30 minutes and your soon-to-be most favorite way to eat chili!
You can go ahead and just call your chili game changed forever, you guys.
Changed in the sense of…chili has been turned into a casserole and a pile of gloriously amazing cheddar biscuits somehow wound up on top of the whole beautiful mess.
A beautiful accident or one that I totaaaaaaaaally wanted to happen? Either way it all works out.
I mean, it quite obviously works out. Whoa…♥
So basically you guys, this chili casserole is ticking off MANY dinner wins right now.
It’s the cozy food we’re all undoubtedly still craving, it’s EASY weeknight cozy food to boot, and honestly anything that involves taking chili and making it even MORE amazing is just gonna win the whole dinner game.
Pretty much the only work on your part is as follows. —>
- Making your chili base. Just your basic standard chili recipe, but it’s a keeper.
- Biscuits!!! It’s our game-changer and clearly my favorite.
- Bake ‘er all up and try not to swoon. Also, please keep in mind this whole three-step process took place in THIRTY minutes. <<< yes.
It’s so fun taking that first scoop in to grab your biscuit and a toooooon of the chili goodness underneath. That second scoop is pretty fun too.
I wouldn’t know about a third, prooooooomise.
Turkey Chili Casserole with Cheddar Biscuits
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can 28 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can 15 oz black beans, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 3/4 cup milk
- Additional milk for brushing
- Make the chili: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown turkey with onion and garlic until no longer pink. Stir tomato paste, diced tomatoes, black beans, broth, and seasonings into chili. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat, season with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm.
- Make the biscuits: In a large bowl, combine flour and butter until crumbly and butter is in pea-sized crumbs. Mix in baking powder, salt, cheese, and agave syrup. Pour milk over top and gently fold until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead several times until dough just comes together. Pat dough into 1 -in thick round and use a 2-in biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits.
- Pour chili into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Arrange biscuits on top of chili and brush biscuits with additional milk.
- Bake casserole at 400F 18-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden-brown and chili is bubbly. Let cool 5 minutes then serve warm. Enjoy!
I’m a little obsessed with my chili around here. Try this crockpot one next!!