Packed with a double-whammy of chocolate and SO easy to whip up, these flaky coconut oil scones will quickly become a weekend breakfast favorite. Make a double batch for the freezer!
So I’ve decided something important, you guys. Anything other than these double-whammy chocolate coconut oil scones on your weekend indulgence agenda is a big no-no.
Double/triple/quadruple/and so on amounts of coconut oil scones only. With a latte close by too, but that goes without saying.
We must discuss every chocoholic’s new love. It’s called super-flaky, ultimately addicting double chocolate scones, obviously. Why oh why haven’t I been eating these every day of my life??
Considering the fact that I basically am now…let’s just say I’m good, guys.
Alright, baking chit-chat time. So one of the more common problems you run into when you’re working with tons of chocolate in a scone base is that cocoa powder tends to dry out the dough and make them crumbly and gotta-wash-that-down-with-a-gallon-of-coffee kinda dry.
No dry scones allowed here! Coconut oil makes them SUPER flaky while greek yogurt and half-and-half compensates for the otherwise-dryness the unsweetened cocoa powder would give these scones, and one little egg binds everything together.
If we’re being real though…the dark chocolate chips are what REALLY constitutes and binds everything together into the scone of your dreams.
Honestly, why do any other breakfast pastries even exist? Everything you could ever possibly ask of weekend breakfast/anytime snacking is staring you in the face.
I know I mentioned it above, but I’ll reiterate again: double/triple/quadruple/so on number of scone batches preferred and highly recommended.
Double Dark Chocolate Coconut Oil Scones
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cold coconut oil cubed into 1/2-in pieces
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and sugar. Cut in coconut oil until crumbly. Mix in yogurt, egg, agave, cream, and vanilla until a shaggy dough forms. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead several times until dough comes together. Pat dough into a 1-in thick round. Cut the round into 8 wedges and place wedges on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake scones at 425F 13-15 minutes or until golden-brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire cooling rack.
I’m always down for chocolaty things for breakfast. Any excuse to get more chocolate in my day.
Jill Holtzman says
Can gluten free be used for this recipe? I use better batter flour.
You may have to use a little additional flour, Jill, but just make sure that the dough is fairly thick like biscuit dough. Hope that helps you!!
These are absolutely dreamy!
Delicious. These look too good to be true. Yummmy.