This Italian tomato cucumber salad is loaded with tons of fresh tomatoes, avocados, cucumbers, and soft mozzarella cheese tossed in a flavorful homemade Italian vinaigrette.
New summer salad crush alert! We’ve got the easiest lil gem on deck for today.
Cucumbers and tomatoes are one of our favorite salad combinations and today we’re putting them in the most incredibly fresh and flavorful salad.
The real bonus about this salad is that it’s one of those side dishes that you can throw together in literally only 20 minutes AND it uses up an abundance of garden vegetables.
Trust me, you won’t even mind having salad on the menu if this is the one that’s in question. Something about fresh mozzarella and silky avocado in a salad always bumps it up a level.
This Salad features…
- Crisp cucumbers and silky avocado
- Juicy tomatoes and soft mozzarella cheese
- A flavorful Italian vinaigrette
- Minutes to make with only a handful of ingredients
Making the Tomato Cucumber Salad
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Mozzarella pearls
- White wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Italian seasoning
- Olive oil
Can I Use Different Tomatoes?
Yes, you can! This recipe works great with cherry, roma, heirloom, grape, or plum tomatoes. You can even use a variety of tomatoes depending on what you have on hand.
Tips for Perfect Salad
- Cut vegetables the same size – try to get all your salad mix-ins in uniform 1/2-inch cubes to make this salad easier to eat.
- Add avocado and basil just before serving – this will prevent these ingredients from turning brown.
- Choose ripe tomatoes – When choosing your tomatoes at the store or farmers market, look for ones that are slightly firm to the touch and have a strong tomato aroma. This signifies the tomatoes are ripe and will taste super flavorful in the salad.
- Serve salad immediately after dressing – this helps all the ingredients stay fresh.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this salad.
- Try different vegetables – sweet pepper, corn, sauteed mushrooms, or green beans would be great extra veggie additions.
- Swap out cheeses – try goat cheese, feta, or burrata.
- Make it spicy – add a minced jalapeno, red pepper flakes, or a few shakes of hot sauce for salad with some kick.
- Add beans – try adding a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas or white beans.
Make Ahead Instructions
Follow these instructions for time-saving make ahead tips.
- Chop vegetables – chop the tomatoes and cucumber and store in refrigerator up to 3 days (wait until just before serving to cut avocado and basil)
- Make dressing – store the dressing in refrigerator up to 1 week.
- For serving – when ready to serve, cut the avocado and basil and toss together with vegetables and dressing in a large bowl and serve immediately.
This is just peak summer salad goodness, y’all! The combination of textures and fresh summer flavors with the homemade Italian vinaigrette is absolutely to die for.
Plus it’s freaking gorgeous. Try not to eat it all straight from the bowl.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
Watch this salad made step-by-step on Google web stories.
More beautiful loaded salads to try next!
Italian Tomato Cucumber Salad
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 2 medium cucumbers, cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 2 medium ripe avocados, cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella pearls
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Tomato Cucumber Salad
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients. Set aside for a moment.
- In small bowl, whisk vinegar, honey, Dijon, garlic, and Italian seasoning until smooth. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly until dressing is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to combine. Season salad with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately. Enjoy!
This post was updated with new recipe adjustments and photos on 8/18/23.