This honey mustard chicken salad features juicy grilled chicken thighs brushed with homemade honey mustard and tossed in a big green salad with fresh blueberries and avocado.
Just a PSA, the quota doesn’t exist for the amount of summer salads I will shove in your face this summer
There’s nothing better than a good honey mustard chicken, so naturally, grilling it and jamming it in a big, beautiful salad could not possibly go wrong.
Spoiler alert: it went very right and even the blueberries came to party.
We’re slowly but surely approaching those days of summer when you can’t fathom turning on the stove and this beautiful salad just fits the bill.
Plus it’s just so freaking easy. All we’re doing here today is making a quick honey mustard, grilling up a mess of chicken, and throwing everything together in your sturdiest salad bowl.
This Salad Features…
- Juicy and flavorful grilled chicken thighs
- Sweet and tangy homemade honey mustard
- Sweet blueberries, silky avocado, and tangy feta
- Ready in only 40 minutes and the easiest summer salad
Making the Honey Mustard Salad
(scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full recipe)
Ingredients You Will Need
- Dijon mustard
- Stone-ground mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Vegetable oil
- Spring greens mix
- Feta cheese
- Sliced almonds
Choosing Your Chicken
We recommend using boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. This cut of chicken is fast to cook on the grill and turns out juicy every single time when you pair it with the honey mustard.
If you don’t have thighs on hand, boneless skinless chicken breasts will work great instead. They won’t cook up quite as juicy as thighs but they will still be delicious.
Tips for Perfect Salad
- Use two kinds of mustard – for the best mustard flavor in the sauce, we’re going to be using Dijon mustard and stone-ground mustard.
- Divide honey mustard sauce in half – the honey mustard is going to double duty as both the grilled chicken sauce and the salad dressing. Make sure to set the dressing portion aside from the chicken portion to avoid cross contamination with the raw meat.
- Toast almonds for salad – toasting the almonds helps bring out a lovely nutty flavor and gives them a perfectly crunchy texture. Toast your almonds by tossing around in a skillet over medium heat until fragrant.
Try these ideas for a different twist on this salad.
- Try it with steak – swap out the chicken for a sirloin or New York strip steak.
- Use a different cheese – goat cheese, fresh mozzarella, or burrata would be great in place of the feta.
- Change up the fruit – try strawberries, blackberries, or raspberries in place of the blueberries.
Make Ahead Instructions
Follow these instructions for time-saving make ahead tips.
- Make the honey mustard – make the sauce up and and store in refrigerator up to 1 week.
- Grill the chicken – store in refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Toast the nuts – the almonds may be toasted and stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to several weeks.
Once the salad is assembled, we recommend enjoying immediately as it does not store well.
You really wouldn’t expect it, but the sweet and tangy honey mustard chicken pairs SO incredibly well with the juicy fresh blueberries! Throw some tangy feta, toasty almonds, and silky avocado into the mix and you’ve got one prize-winning salad.
Seriously, you won’t want to eat any other salad this summer and that’s a fact.
Save this recipe using the ‘save to recipe box’ button below. If you make it, please let us know! Leave a comment + star rating below, or take a photo and tag it on Instagram with #wholeandheavenlyoven.
More summer salads to try next!
Blueberry Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
Honey Mustard Chicken
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups spring greens mix
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Honey Mustard Chicken
- In a medium bowl, whisk mustards, honey, and apple cider vinegar until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside half of honey mustard and refrigerate.
- Preheat a grill over medium-high heat OR lightly grease a grill pan to use on the stovetop. Rub chicken thighs with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat, brushing with honey mustard while cooking until chicken registers 165F. Allow chicken to cool slightly, then dice into 1/2-in cubes.
- Combine spring greens, blueberries, avocado, feta, almonds, and chicken in a large serving bowl. Drizzle reserved honey mustard over top and toss salad until evenly coated. Serve immediately and enjoy!