Light and crispy cornmeal cheddar waffles are topped with a beautiful fried egg and tons of avocado pico de gallo for the BEST savory twist on waffles you’ll ever have!
We’ve officially crossed over into the savory dark side of waffles, guys. ^^^ and judging from appearances, we will likely be staying awhile?
Idk, the fried eggs and avocado pico de gallo drive a ridiculously hard bargain.
Where do you lean when it comes to sweet or savory for breakfast? I’m not the hugest breakfast eater since mornings are usually on the go for me, but when it comes down to it I’m alwaaaaays gonna lean savory.
…then possibly have a donut for dessert. ??
If you’re a savory breakfast eater like me, these waffles are gonna be your new obsession. And if you’re not a savory fan, well…these cornmeal cheddar waffles are definitely your catalyst.
First off, the WAFFLES. They are so ridiculously crispy and packed with cheddar flavors, I could probably eat them by themselves.
Obviously we’re not gonna do that though because fried eggs gotta join the party along with a small mountain of quick avocado pico.
I’m fooling no one with the use of the word “small” am I? Huge amounts of everything are kinda what we do around here.
^^^ seriously. Your new/only favorite waffle. ??
Cornmeal Cheddar Waffles with Fried Eggs + Avocado Pico de Gallo
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Pico de Gallo:
- 2 avocados pitted and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes cored and diced
- 1 small jalapeno minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the waffles: In a large bowl, whisk butter, eggs,agave, and milk until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold flour mixture into liquid until batter is just combined. Fold in cheese.
- Cook waffles in a waffle maker according to manufacturers instructions until waffles are crispy and golden-brown. Keep warm.
- Make the pico de gallo: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Set aside for a moment.
- Make the fried eggs: In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmery. Fry eggs two at a time 3-4 minutes until golden brown around edges and white is set. Remove from pan with a spatula and carefully place on warm waffles.
- Top waffles with pico de gallo and serve immediately. Enjoy!