Get your soft pretzels fix in BREADSTICKS form! These easy soft pretzel breadsticks are covered in a flavorful garlic butter and tons of Parmesan cheese for the ultimate appetizer.
Fellow carb-lovers: you’d better back away reaaaaaaaaal slowly from today’s bread goodness. Real slowly, as in RUN.
P.S. I’m staying here. Cause somebody’s gotta keep the little soft pretzel breadsticks company.
In other news, your New Years weekend is just obviously gonna be missing something MAJOR unless these soft pretzel breadsticks are front and center of attention.
And on instant repeat. Because as appearances would suggest, these babies do not.last.long. Like approximately 15 seconds.
Let’s talk CARBS! And garlicky herb butter. And cheese. Like basically all the best things, okay?
Step numero uno: The dough. It’s my standard soft pretzel dough that I used for these classics awhile back and it works out super nicely in breadstick form. Like way too nicely.
Once your dough is made, risen, breadsticks formed, a quick boil in baking soda, and high oven-temp bake, it’s time for BUTTER! It’s a quick, utterly-insane garlic herb butter and that gets brushed all over breadstick territory.
Then cheese on top. Because we’re already going all out so just take it that extra cheese step.
A quick trip back to the oven aaaaaaaaand…^^^ Isn’t that like a spitting image of the bread you see in your fondest DREAMS?
Buttery, soft, cheesy, and literally nothing that you won’t adore with every ounce of your bread-lovin’ soul, guys. There was much excitement when I made these. Little leftovers and zero regrets. ♥
Garlic Butter Parmesan Soft Pretzel Breadsticks
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water 110F
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 6 cups water
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
Garlic Butter Topping:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes until foamy, then whisk in sugar and salt. With mixer running on medium speed, add flour 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from sides of bowl, adding additional flour if needed.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead several times until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place, 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch risen dough down and divide into 12 equal pieces. Shape each dough portion into a 6-in breadstick shape and place 1-apart on two parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 15-30 minutes.
- Make the garlic butter: In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic to pan and saute 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat and stir in parsley and salt. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a low boil over medium-high heat. Dissolve baking soda into water. Working 1-2 at a time, carefully place breadsticks in boiling water and boil 30 seconds on each side, flipping once. Transfer back to baking sheets and repeat boiling with remaining breadsticks.
- Bake breadsticks in a preheated 450F oven 10 minutes, then remove from oven and brush with garlic butter and sprinkle with Parmesan. Return breadsticks to oven and continue baking an additional 5-10 minutes until breadsticks are a deep golden brown. Enjoy hot from the oven!