You will NEVER find a more amazing or easier soft pretzel in the world than these! This recipe is a keeper.—Top them with your choice of either cinnamon sugar or garlic herb salt.
Bold statement, but soft pretzels that absolutely live up to it.
Hi. My name is Sarah, I’m obsessed with soft pretzels and I’m a little too excited for today’s post.
There may or may not be slightly-annoying amounts of exclamation points, heart-eyed emojiis, and pictures of zee DOUGH around here today. My excitement is freaking real, peeps. ???
The best soft pretzels in the whole freaking world can do that to a girl. ♥
I mean, I’m not even really thinking about the game on Sunday right now at all, guys. My thoughts have been completely intercepted and taken over by the snacks and are currently somewhere in Soft Pretzel Land.
So I have to tell you about these. Guys, we’ve done soft pretzels around these parts before. (uh, pizza-style and yes, you should go check that one out) But never that classic, no-nonsense, completely goof-proof version that I’m convinced everyone needs in their life.
Never made your own yeast dough, let alone shaped and boiled soft pretzels before? No problem, because this dough is seriously the EASIEST to work with and also I took bajillions of photos to help ‘ya every step of the way.
Shape. Follow the pictures! It’s easy.
Quick baking soda boil.
Brush with egg wash and top with your choice of topping (I included options for TWO toppings–sweet and savory!)
To your belly with them all.
Okay, sorry for photo overload. Dough is so photogenic and visuals personally make ME happy. They also allow small breaks in my obvious constant chatterboxing about how freaking amazing these pretzels are.
In anticipation for Sunday, we should probably get started on our whole pretzel-face-shoveling thing today. Agreed? Cool.
If we’re being honest here, I actually started last week and show no signs of stopping the current Soft Pretzel Binge.
Heck yes, the world’s best stuff right here, peeps.
The Best Soft Pretzels in the World
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water 110F
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 6 cups water
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 egg yolk whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- **2 tablespoons coconut sugar + 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- **1 teaspoon Italian seasoning + 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- **Kosher salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes until foamy, then whisk in sugar and salt. With mixer running on medium speed, add flour 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from sides of bowl, adding additional flour if needed.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead several times until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place, 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch risen dough down and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each portion into a 12-in rope. Form ropes into a pretzel shape, by shaping ropes into a a circle and twisting ends towards center. Pinch edges to end of pretzel to adhere. Place pretzels on two parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a low boil over medium-high heat. Dissolve baking soda into water. Working 1-2 at a time, carefully place pretzels in boiling water and boil 30 seconds on each side, flipping once. Transfer back to baking sheets and repeat boiling with remaining pretzels.
- Brush pretzels with egg yolk mixture and top with your choice of either cinnamon sugar, garlic seasoning, or plain kosher salt. Bake pretzels in a preheated 450F oven 10-12 minutes until pretzels are a deep golden brown. Enjoy hot from the oven!
Make sure you try these Pizza-Stuffed Soft Pretzels next! ♥