Creamy, flavorful chicken basil pesto fettuccine alfredo is made ENTIRELY in one pot in only 30 minutes and this one will quickly become your new favorite way to eat fettuccine alfredo!
On a scale of 1 to 10 on the green goodness scale…we’re pretty much at a solid 110, guys.
It was probably/definitely the carbs that helped push it over the edge though. Leave it to carbs to come in for the clutch.
Guys, it turns out that pesto fettuccine alfredo wins on like basically all levels of dinner. The main reasons you should be aware of include…a) it’s GREEN and the green stuff is actually good because nobody hates on pesto. Nobody.
B and C mostly just involve me gushing about the fact that it’s also got alfredo sauce. Plus chicken. And fettuccine. And it’s all made in one.freaking.pot.
In relation to that whole one pot, smack-yoself-it’s-so-easy-bit…here’s the prep list >>>
- Pesto. I prefer to make my own because homemade pesto literally blows storebought out of the picture. Totally up to you though! I provide my recipe either way.
- Saute up a mess of chicken cubes, onions, garlic, etc.
- Alfredo sauce gets made right then and there! Nestle your noodles in the pan and let it all simmer happily away for awhile.
- Once the sauce is thick, creamy, and the noodles are cooked…snatch that baby off the stove and stir ALL THE PESTO into it. I like to leave the pesto step as the last step so my pesto fettuccine alfredo stays a vibrant, gorgeous green.
Also it is at this point where I just prefer to dive right in with both hands. Good grief, can you even blame me?
Seriously. Green wins today, guys. Probably even won this entire week for us.
One-Pot Chicken Basil Pesto Fettuccine Alfredo
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in cubes
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz uncooked fettuccine pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- In a food processor, pulse all ingredients while drizzling olive oil through top. Scrape down sides several times and season pesto with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil until shimmery. Add chicken, onion, and garlic and saute several minutes until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in flour until smooth. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Add cream, chicken broth, and pasta. Bring pasta to a simmer over medium-high, then reduce heat to medium and let simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid is evaporated and pasta is tender and creamy. (if pasta isn't cooking fast enough, add a little more chicken broth near the end)
- Remove fettuccine alfredo from heat and stir in prepared basil pesto. Season with salt and pepper to taste and top with Parmesan and basil. Serve immediately and enjoy!