This creamy tortellini basil tomato soup is insanely easy to pull off and seriously tastes like it simmered all day! It’ll be our little secret it comes together in only 40 minutes in ONE pot!
So soup season is still like a thing right? I mean, it’s still March in Wisconsin where I’m at, guys. Which means the weather could be anywhere from 10 degrees with a foot of snow to 50 degrees with puddles.
Also, I don’t know about you but soup is just really an appropriate thing year-round to me. Thus…tortellini basil tomato soup….it is without a doubt a GO for today.
So generally, I’m not a huge tomato soup person, guys. I will freely admit that and duck my head in shame now. HOWEVER. A tomato soup that’s scratch-made and stuffed with my pasta crush called tortellini? And oodles of fresh basil?
I’m all in. And probably just gonna go live in that bowl now, kbyeeee.
Getting down to tortellini basil tomato soup business…if you’ve got 40 minutes to spare on dinner tonight, you’re in the soup business!!
- Starting with the basics. Saute up a little bit of onion, garlic, etc. Then throw ALL the tomato goodness in the pot which includes tomato paste, and canned whole peeled tomatoes. Let it all simmer for awhile so all the flavors develop, breaking up the tomatoes into smaller pieces as they cook.
- Then send it all on a trip to the blender so things can get CREAMY. Oh, and then add some heavy cream afterwards or whatever.
- Put everything back in the pot and throw some tortellini and basil goodness into the party. Once the tortellini is cooked…it’s SOUP TIME, y’all!
Amazing that it only took a little bit of carbs and a little bit of fresh herb goodness to turn this girl into a tomato soup fanatic, huh?
P.S. More carbs like a grilled cheese for instance goes pretty amazingly with this soup. Just saying.
Creamy Tortellini Basil Tomato Soup
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (15 oz) cans peeled whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 oz uncooked cheese-filled tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup minced basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan for topping, optional
- In a dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat, saute garlic and onion in oil until translucent and fragrant. Add tomato paste and sugar and cook 1 minute. Add whole tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Bring soup to a simmer over medium-high heat, using a spoon to break whole tomatoes into pieces as they soften and cook. Allow soup to simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer soup to a high-speed blender and carefully blend on medium speed until completely smooth. Return to pot and bring to a simmer. Add tortellini pasta and cook, stirring occasionally 5-7 minutes until tortellini is tender and soup is bubbly. Add cream, basil, and salt and pepper to taste in soup. Serve soup immediately while hot and top with shredded Parmesan if desired. Enjoy!