Stuffed with flavorful caramelized onions, mushrooms and gooey swiss cheese, these stuffed chicken breasts are WAY easier than they look and the perfect way to up your chicken game!
This is us WAY stepping up our chicken dinner game, y’all. Major upgrades and I promise you won’t hate ’em.
I mean, who in their right mind would hate on super-duper STUFFED chicken breasts?
Stuffed with the good stuff like caramelized onions, mushrooms, piles of cheese, etc.
The essentials in life?
Also essential —-> a dang easy steppin’-up-our-game chicken dinner.
I know this stuffed chicken doesn’t look like it fits in that category but it DOES!
And it’s glorious thing when fancy chicken also has EASY PEASY in the same sentence.
These Caramelized Onion Mushroom Swiss Stuffed Chicken Breasts feature…
- Flavorful caramelized onions + mushrooms
- Lots of gooey swiss cheese
- A zingy paprika spice rub
- Incredibly juicy chicken breasts holding all of the above!
As promised, these stuffed chicken breasts are an actual breeze to prep. >>
Seriously, 35 min + one skillet aaaaand GO!
- Caramelize up some gorgeous onions, garlic, and mushrooms. This is basically the heart and soul to your stuffed chicken, guys.
- Cut a slit in each of your chicken breasts. Kinda like a little pocket because that’s where you’re gonna pile all of the above goodness.
- Season both sides of your chicken breasts with a quick little paprika spice rub and then stuff ALL that caramelized goodness inside, lay a slice of swiss on top and secure the whole thing with toothpicks.
- VERY EXTRAORDINARILY CAREFULLY (I really can’t emphasize this enough) sear your chicken in butter + oil on both sides, being extremely careful when you turn the chicken. We just wanna get a nice crispy exterior on both sides and then it’s into the oven for the rest of the baking.
And during this time, the cheese will bubble up inside your killer chicken and safely secure all your caramelized onions + mushrooms inside.
Try not to die at how freaking good it’s gonna smell and how even better it’s gonna look and taste.
Ooooh yes, do we like a good cheese stretch around here. ^^
You can devour this chicken as is because honestly, it’s pretty dang amazing on its own.
Or you can serve it over noodles, rice, etc. Whatever the heck ya want!
Just make sure you pat yourself on the back. Cause you just made uber-fancy chicken with no sweat whatsoever!!
More stuffed chicken recipes you should definitely have in your back pocket!
Watch this stuffed chicken made step-by-step on Google web stories!
Caramelized Onion Mushroom Swiss Stuffed Chicken Breasts
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb chicken breasts (3 medium ones)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, caramelize sliced onions in 1 tablespoon butter until a deep golden brown, stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes) Stir in mushrooms, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste, cooking an additional 5-8 minutes until mushrooms are softened. Set aside
- Cut a slit in each chicken breast about 2/3 through. In a small bowl, combine paprika, salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Rub spice mixture on both sides of each breast. Fill each breast pocket with onion/mushroom mixture and top with a slice of Swiss cheese. Seal chicken breasts closed and secure with toothpicks.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, melt remaining tablespoon butter with oil. Sear chicken 2-3 minutes on both sides until chicken is a deep golden-brown. Place skillet in 375F oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until chicken registers 165F. Remove toothpicks from chicken breasts and serve hot. Enjoy!