Made in one pot in only 40 minutes, this Spanish chicken and rice skillet is packed with juicy chicken legs and tons of spicy fluffy rice. The secret is in the homemade spice rub!
Mondays were MADE for all that one pot glory, guys. We love a good dinner that practically makes itself around here!
Today we’re scheduled to do a kick-butt Spanish chicken and rice skillet. It’s just a dinner that’s so dang good I’m pretty sure you’re going to feel inclined to make it multiple times throughout the week.
Trust me, you won’t hate that plan once you see how EASY this dinner is to pull off!
All the dinner boxes are getting ticked today, y’all. There’s rice, there’s tons of spice, there’s chicken, and there’s no dirty dishes in sight because one pot!
That’s what we call a very good dinner situation. Definitely one to keep around for the long haul.
This Spanish Chicken and Rice features…
- Juicy, spice-rubbed chicken legs
- Fluffy, tender rice that cooks in the same pan with the chicken
- A spicy, smoky Spanish spice rub that coats the chicken and simmers in the rice
- Lots of fresh lime + cilantro for a final little flavor kick
Making the Spanish Chicken and Rice
(scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe!)
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken – we like using chicken legs for this recipe but keep reading for instructions on cooking other cuts.
- Spices – cumin, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper make up our spice mix.
- Yellow Onion – one medium yellow onion finely diced.
- Tomato Paste – this help builds up the flavor of the rice.
- Garlic – use fresh garlic if you can!
- Rice – we use just a simple long-grain white rice in this recipe.
- Chicken Broth – this is what we cook the rice + chicken in so try to find a higher quality chicken broth.
- Lime + Cilantro – fresh lime wedges and minced cilantro add a final little burst of flavor to this dish.
Using Other Kinds of Chicken
Listed below are modifications for making this recipe with different kinds of chicken other than legs.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – follow instructions for searing and simmer chicken in rice 15-20 minutes.
- Bone-In Chicken Thighs – follow instructions for searing, bake chicken at 400F 10 minutes, then finish cooking in rice 20-25 minutes.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – follow instructions for searing and simmer chicken in rice 20-25 minutes.
Adjusting Spice Level
If you would like less heat in this dish, my advice would be to start with less chili powder and work your way up while tasting.
If you would like more heat in this dish, you can sub out the paprika for smoked paprika. You can also add a little cayenne pepper.
The juicy chicken legs soaking up in the fluffy, spicy rice in this skillet is honestly a DREAM.
Also, you should be aware that this dinner dream took 40 minutes and only dirtied one pan. Consider hiring this recipe on for permanent weeknight dinner duty.
Don’t forget to squeeze plenty of fresh lime juice and sprinkle fresh cilantro over this skillet! One last little flavor punch that takes this chicken and rice over the top.
More one pot dinners to add to your arsenal!
Watch this Spanish chicken and rice made step-by-step on Google Web Stories!
One-Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice Skillet
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lb chicken legs or drumsticks (about 4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white rice
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Divide spice mixture in half and rub half of it all over chicken legs. Set remaining half aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place spice-rubbed chicken legs in pan and sear on all sides, turning occasionally until golden. (about 3-4 minutes) Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In same skillet, saute onion in drippings until translucent and fragrant. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, tomato paste, rice and remaining spice mixture to pan and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into pan and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and nestle chicken back into pan. Cover pan and let Spanish rice simmer 20-25 minutes or until rice is cooked and chicken registers 165F.
- Just before serving, squeeze fresh lime juice over Spanish rice and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve hot and enjoy!