Crispy, rustic cornmeal waffles are topped with the BEST homemade strawberry preserves for the best summer breakfast you’ll ever have.
Ahhhhh yesssssss……the classic, nostalgic summer breakfast we all desperately need up our summer sleeves. (who wears sleeves in the summer?)
Let’s just say that these cornmeal waffles are the one trick you need in your summer bag. And you obviously need huge amounts of homemade strawberry preserves stuffed in there somehow.
Exhibit A: Ridiculously crisp and fluffy cornmeal waffles. They basically melt in your mouth.
Exhibit B: Sweet, tangy, eat-it-straight-from-the-pot homemade strawberry preserves. Please refrain from eating it all with a spoon and leave some for the waffles because the two make a DYNAMITE couple.
Please note that summer breakfast goals were met today. And they likely will be every day because these cornmeal waffles should be on the breakfast agenda every.dang.day.
Basically you’ve got two major steps: Waffles and preserves. The strawberry preserves can be made waaaaay in advance if you like to save time the waffles morning of. (p.s. please make big batches, cause it’s liquid gold and so easy)
The waffle batter is freaking FAST and comes together in only one bowl, they cook up in minutes, and before you know it you are in the waffle business.
A good business to invest your summer into. And I would recommend tall piles because hey, summer is short and waffles + strawberry preserves are GOOD.
And waffles are totally multi-purpose when it comes to meals right? Uh, breakfast, lunch, and dinner all the way.??
Cornmeal Waffles with Strawberry Preserves
This recipe may included paid links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, whisk coconut oil, eggs, sugar, and buttermilk until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold flour mixture into liquid until batter is just combined.
- Cook waffles in a waffle maker according to manufacturers instructions until waffles are crispy and golden-brown. Keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan, combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, smashing berries with a wooden spoon, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer covered stirring occasionally until berries are reduced and syrupy, about 20 minutes.
- Serve waffles warm with strawberry preserves. Enjoy!