Soft pretzel bites could not be EASIER to make at home! These Parmesan pesto soft pretzel bites are unbelievably soft, chewy, and covered in flavorful pesto and Parmesan cheese.
Go on and ask me my favorite food, guys. It doesn’t even depend on the day, the answer is ALWAYS gonna be soft pretzels.
I tend to eat way too many soft pretzels. Especially if they’re little bite-sized NUGGETS.
Throw some pesto and Parm into the mix and we’ve got a deal.
I’m not into football by any means but I am most definitely HERE FOR THE SNACKS. I imagine Parmesan pesto soft pretzel bites fit the job description.
We are making our dough from scratch today, friends and NO it’s not as scary as it sounds! Pretzel dough is the basic of the basic when it comes to yeast stuff. Lots ‘o details in the recipe below!
Pretty much the brunt part about these pretzel bites is the quick baking soda boil time and then a quick trip to the oven. And then ALL the pesto and Parm on top.
I insist you devour these hot from the oven and that you don’t share.
Don’t worry, you’re not gonna have any problem whatsoever with that last step.
Oh hey, midday AND midnight snack? I’m all in.
Parmesan Pesto Soft Pretzel Bites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110F)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 large egg, whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes until foamy, then whisk in honey and salt. With mixer running on medium speed, add flour 1 cup at a time until dough pulls away from sides of bowl, adding additional flour if needed to form a soft consistency.
- With mixer running on medium, knead dough 4-5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. (OR if not using a mixer, knead with hands on a floured surface 4-5 minutes) Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place, 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch risen dough down and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each portion into a 12-in rope. Use a bench scraper or a sharp knife to cut ropes into 2-in pretzel bites. Place pretzel bites on two parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a low boil over medium-high heat. Dissolve baking soda into water. Working 6-8 at a time, carefully place pretzel bites in boiling water and boil 30 seconds on each side, flipping once. Transfer back to baking sheets and repeat boiling with remaining bites.
- Brush pretzel bites with egg yolk mixture. Bake pretzels in a preheated 450F oven 10-12 minutes until pretzels are a deep golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately brush bites with pesto and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Broil under high heat 1-2 minutes or until Parmesan is browned and melted. Enjoy pretzel bites warm!
Brittany Audra @ Audra's Appetite says
Pesto and pretzels sound amazing together! 🙂
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
Wow! I don’t think pretzel bites could get any better! These look AMAZING, Sarah! I love pesto and you just took it to a whole new level. What a perfect snack!
Can you freeze the bites?
Yes, they freeze wonderfully!