Super flavorful red wine beef ragu is made entirely in the instant pot in only THIRTY minutes! The beef is so incredibly tender it tastes like it was simmering all day.
Welcome to COZY food season!! Better known as carb season.
Also known as that time of year when I give my instant pot the workout of its LIFE. Cause instant pot red wine beef ragu ain’t gonna make itself.
It isn’t gonna eat itself either, but that’s what we’re here for. Our job’s hard but someone’s gotta do it. Takin’ one for the cozy food team.
Oh man. Guys. This red wine beef ragu is life-changing. It tastes like it simmered all day but it honest-to-goodness cooks up in the instant pot in only THIRTY freaking minutes. Umm, why wouldn’t I always have this in my instant pot is the only question….
There’s minimal steps involved in dinner for today, but just for kicks I’ll walk ya through ’em. >>>
- Cut a big ‘ol beef chuck roast into fairly-decent sized 2-in cubes. Then using the SAUTE mode on your instant pot, we’re gonna brown these.
- Once the beef is browned, literally everything else gets thrown into the pot. Carrots, a few herb sprigs, whole tomatoes, garlic, onion, red wine, (yeeeeees) and beef broth. All the good stuff, guys, all the good stuff.
- We’re gonna cook all of the above on high pressure for about 30 minutes then release the pressure for about 5. At which point, you’re gonna remove your beef cubes from the pot and shred ’em up because they’re gonna be SO INSANELY fall-apart tender. Like they cooked for about 8 + hours tender is what I’m talking, guys.
The whole dang thing will then get draped over hot pappardelle noodles and I insist you cover ALL dat goodness with grated Parmesan if you know what’s good for ya.
This.Is.Cozy.Food, guys. All winter long, you know what I’m eating.
Instant Pot Red Wine Beef Ragu
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 2-in chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 2-in chunks
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into 1-in chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup red wine (a drier red wine works best)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 12 oz hot cooked pappardelle pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Pat beef chuck roast cubes dry and season all sides with salt and pepper. Set instant pot to SAUTE mode and heat olive oil until shimmery. Brown chuck roast cubes on all sides until golden brown.
- Add vegetables, rosemary, thyme, wine, beef broth, and tomatoes to instant pot and seal lid. Cook on high pressure 30 minutes then let release pressure naturally for 5 minutes.
- Remove herb sprigs from sauce. Using two forks, shred beef into medium pieces and return to pot. Remove 1/2 cup liquid from instant pot and gradually whisk in flour until smooth. Add back to instant pot and stir until sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Add butter to pot and stir until butter is melted. Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm until ready to serve.
- For serving, spoon hot beef ragu over cooked pappardelle pasta and top with grated Parmesan. Enjoy!