Soft, buttery coconut shortbread bars are dipped in melted chocolate and rolled in coconut flakes for the ultimate holiday cookie bar!
Aka, the cookie bar that doesn’t actually make it to the cookie tray.
Sad trombone for others. BIG home runs for the coconut shortbread bar bakers.
If you’re looking to avoid all that rolling out/decorating/anything fussy cookie business this year, THESE coconut shortbread cookies are gonna be your guy.
Honestly, anything that just gets pressed entirely into one pan, dipped in chocolate, and rolled in coconut is gonna be everyone’s bestie.
I’m telling ya, the ease really can’t be beat here. Shortbread is one of those things that is is simplicity x10 and its perfect in every way being so simple. >>>
- Butter, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, coconut, salt, and flour make up the dough and there is NO chilling required here since we’re not individually shaping them. Just press it straight into the pan and send it off to the oven.
- Once the bars are baked and cooled, slice ’em into squares and get ALL that melty chocolate ready for dipping. When in doubt, always go heavy on the chocolate. ♥
They’re sooooo soft and buttery, guys. That delicate coconut flavor is just about the most swoonworthy thing when paired with the chocolate-dipped half.
You see now why these just won’t make it to the general family party public. Join me in eating approximately a billion of these and rejoice. ??
Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Shortbread Bars
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate, melted
- Additional flaked coconut for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-in square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat softened butter and sugar together until completely creamy. Add extracts, coconut, salt, and flour, stirring until a soft dough forms.
- Press dough evenly into the bottom of prepared pan. Bake bars at 350F 20-25 minutes or until a light golden brown. Cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Cut bars into 2-in rectangles and dip half of each bar in melted chocolate, placing on parchment paper. Garnish each with flaked coconut and allow to set for 30 minutes. Enjoy!